truck wont start! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
RC-Nitro For discussion of off-road, gas (Nitro) powered, radio controlled model vehicles.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-29-2001, 12:17 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

truck wont start!

ok, heres the deal - my Traxxas Nitro Stampede is about 6 months old, ive run about 3 quarts through it with no problems (engine wise). after i got the replacement CVD from MIP for the one i broke and my tuned pipe i got for christmas FINALLY came in last week, i put it back together and ran it for about 5 min. then i put it down cause i was working on my buddies boat with him. when we got done we tried to start it to run it some more but it wouldnt start. i figured bad glow plug - went and bought new ones friday still no start. its getting fuel fine. i tested the plug against the head holding it with pliers and it glows bright. replaced the wiring harness cause the glow wire had a cut and was exposed. still no start. i completely tore down the engine to inspect it and everything looks fine. still no start! guy at traxxas hotline was an idiot and didnt help me. he said i scorched the piston but i never run it hot and the piston & sleeve look fine. has compression too. anybody help??? thanks!!

Mike ~
"I've got a shotgun, a rifle, and a four-wheel-drive and a country boy can survive!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-29-2001, 07:40 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: truck wont start!

<font color=blue>Sounds like you're not getting fuel. If you have a fuel filter (you do, right?) clean or replace it. Next, check the presure line going from the MIP pipe to the tank. When I put that pipe on my Stampede, I had to angle-cut the end of the hose to get it to go all the way in the pipe. Check the tank for leaks or cracks. You have EZ Start? Hold your finger over the pipe and turn it over a few times. This will prime the motor since your directing all the exhaust pressure into the tank. I dont trust those little primer buttons. If I can think of anything more I'll put it up here</font color=blue>

<font color=blue>355, SM465/NP205, 14 bolt ff/detroit/TSM disks, Dana 44 HD, 4" lift + trimming, 36" Swamper Radials</font color=blue>
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-29-2001, 07:47 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

i thought the same thing, but its getting fuel. i dont like the way you have to cram the tube down into the MIP so i bought a fitting at the hobby shop on my way home last weekend (the hobby shop is up here where im living going to school 1 hr from home) but of course i guessed the wrong size so i have to exchange it. i had the air filter off and there is fuel in the carb and when i took the backplate off there was fuel in the chamber. my first thought was the fuel filter so i took it apart and it was clean. thats why im so lost! thanks for the help though

Mike ~
"I've got a shotgun, a rifle, and a four-wheel-drive and a country boy can survive!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2001, 03:41 PM
portgrinder

take the plug out and just put a drop of fuel right in the chamber. i do this when my rc10gt won't start. just don't put in too much or you won't be able to turn it over. do you guys use pull starters or some sorta tool? sure your mix is set right?

post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2001, 09:31 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

well, it was getting fuel in the chamber fine and would try to fire but wouldnt. well i took it down to my local hobby shop last week and the guy tried to tell me i didnt have any compression (judging on how it was acting) so he hooked up the compression guage and it read a solid 30psi every time which is what it should have. so i went ahead and bought a new piston and sleeve, put it in and bam, fires right up. thanks for the help though yall

Mike ~
Screw you guys, I'm going home!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2001, 10:53 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

That doesn't sound right, that engine should last much longer than three quarts of fuel. Something else could have been wrong. Did you change anything else, you may have had bad gas. Nitro will soak up water out of the air like mad and usually is only good for about a month and a half where I live. That shouldn't have been the problem, but if it works, then go with it.

Montana, The Last Best Place To Hide.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2001, 11:04 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

nope, i tried cleaning the whole engine and doing everything i could and it still wouldnt run then i put in the new piston/sleeve and that made it run. i had just bought the fuel the day it quit running so it was fresh. i dont understand it either but like you said, whatever works

Mike ~
Screw you guys, I'm going home!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-28-2001, 05:38 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

to lean

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode