Newbie ? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
RC-Nitro For discussion of off-road, gas (Nitro) powered, radio controlled model vehicles.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-25-2000, 12:10 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Newbie ?

I am interested if anyone could tell me what the average life span of these little gas engines are? I am interested in getting started and was just curious. It won't be for racing just running around the sand lots. Thanks in advance. Jim.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-26-2000, 07:42 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Newbie ?

<font color=blue>It all depends on how the engine was broken in, what kind of use/abuse it was subjected to, how many times it was overheated, what fuel was used; ect. Some of the higher-end motors wear out faster than others, I have an OS CV .12 and a Traxxas Pro-15 and I like them both. You can expect a gallon (mabye a little more) before it's time to replace the piston & sleeve. Run them very rich (high-end needle aprox. 3 turns open for the first few tanks, then progresivly leaner) for the first few tanks so they break in well. This dramaticly effects engine life. Another big factor is heat. I don't even run my engines without a MIP temp guage. Its too easy to overheat one without knowing it, and heat is what kills these motors (plus over-reving them and throwing a rod [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] ask me how I know this!). They should be between 200-225 degrees farenheit, no more. Also, use quality car fuel, NOT airplane fuel! This is also important. I use 20% regular-blend Blue Thunder, even for racing (the racing blend has less oil, more prone to overheating). Some of my freinds use O'Donnel and Traxxas Top Fuel, both are good fuels to use. As far as fuel goes, get the right stuff when you fist start the motor and don't change fuel brand/nitro content (also, 20% is as high as you want to go). I also won't run a motor with the stock expansion mufler, they're bad for the motor and don't let it breathe. All my nitro vehicles have tuned pipes. That should cover it for now.</font color=blue>

http://www.chrisd71k5.coloradok5.com
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-26-2000, 09:00 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for the info! Hopefully I will be getting into this sport soon. Thanks again for the info. Jim.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2000, 12:48 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

My buddies last a month or so. Depends how much abuse!!

I love to watch my fat girl friend try to strip in front of me.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2000, 07:48 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

<font color=blue>A month? Thats not right..... what motors are they? How are they abused?</font color=blue>

post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2000, 08:11 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Well it was due to a lot of never owning one and we ran 80% mixture of VP nitro. Needless to say she wasn't so pretty after our experiment.

I love to watch my fat girl friend try to strip in front of me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode