Doh! Now What - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
RC-Electric For discussion of off-road, electric powered, radio controlled model vehicles.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-24-2001, 03:57 AM Thread Starter

Doh! Now What

In the never ending search for a smooth running clod, I have another problem thrown at me. Ok, it's a Clodzilla IV with Trinity Speed Gems 2 17T Saphires. It's running a Trinity 4400mah Clod Buster batt. pack and a Novak Super Rooster ESC. I never did get that jurky throttle figured out but got it going pretty good but now it's full speed forward no matter what. If the radio is on when I plug the battery into the speed control I get full speed forward. The first time this happened was when I used the truck, ran the batt. down, charged the batt and plugged it back in and whew, it took off accross my back yard and smashed into the fence breaking the front axle housing. Why is it doing this? To fix the problem in the radio system I am going to buy a JR R-1 PCM unit to control all my cars and trucks. But, that won't help the problems I am having now.

Jason
Big Willy Style
http://www.projectbigwilly.com

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-24-2001, 07:23 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Doh! Now What

This is kinda simple, but i'll throw it out anyway. have you checked the trim controls on your radio? Have you tried reseting your speed control? If i remember right your running a super rooster correct? Reset it the way that you would when you first got it. If that doesn't work, i would borrow another radio from someone and try that. If you have tried these and still not help, let us know and we'll try to figure out some thing else.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-24-2001, 12:30 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, I checked the trims and they are at zero. I tried reseting the ESC but nothing. If this helps, if the radio is off, and I plug the esc in, nothing happens but as soon as I turn on the radio, get out of the way. I figured this was part of the ESC feature that shuts the car down if it loses radio signal. Is there another way of resetting the ESC? I just push the one touch setup button and re-program it but still get nothing.

Jason
Big Willy Style

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-24-2001, 12:43 PM Thread Starter

Ok, I tried a diff. radio and same thing. But, when I try to do the one touch setup here is what happens: I push the button and the tires stop spinning but it instantly goes back to spinning. Like it is getting a signal for full forward movement and when I try to to a quick setup it just does it on it's own getting a full forward signal. Don't know where it's getting it from though.

Jason
Big Willy Style

post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-29-2001, 08:29 PM Thread Starter

Anybody? Anybody?

Jason
Big Willy Style

post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-31-2001, 01:09 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

sorry, been off the computer for a while. from what you are describing it could be a bad speed control. If you have tried another radio that rules the radio out. when you put the speedo in setup, the tires should not turn. I would contact novak and see what they say.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-31-2001, 01:18 PM Thread Starter

When I push the setup button the wheels do stop turning. But, uh, let me describe this better. You know how when you enter setup, the wheels stop, then you pull full throttle and the light turns red or something, then you do full reverse and it then it turns green or something like that? Well, when I push setup, the wheels stop, but, without me doing anything to the radio, the lights go through the sequence on there own and then the wheels start going again. Now, it looks to me like my radio is sending a full throttle forward signal out all the time so when I push the button it gets a full throttle signal for both setups and that is what is causing the esc to go full throttle forward. Make sense? I still think it is a radio problem. The second radio was one of the exact same model, just a diff. unit. I hate these two radios. When they hit about 3 months old they start screwing up. Oh yeah, they are the Airtronics Rival 2P radios. My ESP frame is getting all tweaked because of this stuff going on and it slamming into walls at full speed.

Jason
Big Willy Style

post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-01-2001, 08:08 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

have you tried a new reciever with the new radio? try this. unhook your reciever from your speed control and then put your speed control in to the set up mode. If it acts like it is supposed to, then turn off the speed control and plug the reciever back in. Try it again. Does it go through the sequence by itself again? If you have not changed out recievers then i would try changing them out. it could be a bad reciever and not the radio itself. Let me know how it turns out.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-01-2001, 11:05 AM Thread Starter

Yes, I did change receives. I am going to do like you said and unplug it from the receiver. Heres something that may be helpful. If I turn the radio transmitter off and turn the speed control on, nothing happengs but as soon as I turn the trans. on it takes off. I'll try it and see what happens.

Jason
Big Willy Style

post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-02-2001, 07:34 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

if you have changed the radio and receiver and it is still doing it i think it is still going to be a bad speed control. Sounds as if the speed control is seeing a signal from the reciever all the time. it is possible that you had two bad radio's or recievers but not very likely. have you tried shooting an email to novak and ask thier advice? one more thing you might try. switch the leads. use the leads from the reciever that would normally go to your steering servo and us them as throttle. in a sense you would be steering with your trigger and gassing with your wheel. plug it in to the speed control and try the set up again. understand?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode