2WD Traction - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
RC-Electric For discussion of off-road, electric powered, radio controlled model vehicles.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-15-2001, 07:22 PM Thread Starter

2WD Traction

My traction sucks very bad. Could I make my stock differential into a locker (just like an actuall off road truck)? I was thinking drill a hole through it and stick some sort of plastic pin in the hole to lock it. I have sand paddles for it, and my front yard is all naturall springs, creating MUCH NASTY MUD. I thought hmm, OK! But there is not even ground and a front or rear tire finds a hole, I have to walk into the mud to give it traction.

Kevin

'89 Jeep Cherokee 4x4 four door, street glow shifter knob, 215/70R15 Mastercrafts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-15-2001, 07:42 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: 2WD Traction

what kind of truck are you talking about? some trucks have an adjustable locker that you can tighten up enough to make it almost locked.

<font color=blue>Tom Klippenstein</font color=blue>
often money is the conduit for people to show how stupid they really are.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-18-2001, 07:17 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

One thing to think about also is that if you totally lock the rear diff of a radio controlled truck, if there is not much weight on the front of the truck it will tend to "push" into the corners really bad. The truck will not want to turn if the rear is getting a lot of traction.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-18-2001, 10:48 AM Thread Starter

The rc is a Traxxas Stampede, Have a 14T Quad Wind Motor, Blast ESC, Many tires such as paddles, ribs, directional.

'89 Jeep Cherokee 4x4 four door, street glow shifter knob, 215/70R15 Mastercrafts.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-29-2001, 10:17 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I locked the rear in a Radio Shack Aftershock by pulling out the differential case and filling it with epoxy. I locked the front too, but found it won't turn on grippy surfaces. So I pulled out the front axleshafts and run it like a 2WD pre-runner. It'll still turn, but the back tires hop on pavement. I only run it on dirt and snowpack. If the surface is really loose, I can just throw in the front axleshafts.

Eric

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

If you don't want your truck stuck, bring a camera

post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-29-2001, 03:03 PM Thread Starter

Good idea, if I get the truck running I might try that. It stopped responding one day, then I sort of forgot about it.

Kevin

<font color=red>No fears, no regrets, just a future with a promise.</font color=red>
<font color=blue>Wrecked my '89 XJ</font color=blue>
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-18-2002, 01:56 PM

on the Pede fill up the inside of the gear differentail with a very very thick liquid of some sorts. Someone told me this in the Traxxas Rustler Forum, cant remember what it was. but it will tighten up the diff alot, but still have a little give.

'83 GMC Seirra Classic 4x4 w/ 379 C.I. diesel, NP 208, 10 bolts, 235 Wild Spirits, Turbo from a International 966 tractor.(in process of rebuilding)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode