A wee bit wet - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
RC-Electric For discussion of off-road, electric powered, radio controlled model vehicles.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-06-2001, 09:43 AM Thread Starter

A wee bit wet

Yesterday, just got a new radio, easter I got a new ESC/tires/steering/servos. Yesterday, I jumped my Traxxas Stampede w/ all kinds of hop-ups off a 6-7 ft deck, it rolled into a lake! It doesn't work very well now. Actually, it doesn't work at all now.

KEVIN

'89 XJ Cherokee, stock.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-08-2001, 07:04 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: A wee bit wet

more than likely fried the receiever and speed control. what kind of speedcontrol were you using? Does it still have the light come on when you turn it on? Will the truck do anything at all? (steering, or jerk or anything)

post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-11-2001, 05:26 PM Thread Starter

Yippee! It has dried for about a week now and it works! When it was still wet, it jerked but would not respond to the controller. I have a Blast ESC.

'89 XJ Cherokee, stock.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-14-2001, 08:07 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

glad it is working again. one thing you might want to consider putting your reciever in a balloon. It takes a little work to get it in there, but will keep your reciever really dry in the case that it happens again!

post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-14-2001, 10:00 AM Thread Starter

VERY good idea. I wish I could make an enclosure of some sort for the ESC because it would melt a balloon wouldn't it? I have ran it around acouple times, seems to work fine. Once I work on my jeep and get some stuff for that, I want a NITRO 4x4. I have 4 sand paddle tires waiting to be mounted, JUST CAN'T WAIT!! It will be fun in the snow, mud, sand, grass, everywhere but road.

Kevin

'89 XJ Cherokee, stock. Wish to fix/modify it as much as possible without spending $$ haha.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-15-2001, 07:52 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

here is a little hint that might help make your speed control a little more water resistant not proof. I've borrowed the picture from http://www.rcmt.net/magazine/magazine.htm. I tried to access the entire article but it has moved and no forwarding links. I read the article a while back and this is what i remember.

If you get a plastic project box from Radio Shack that is large enough for your speedo to fit in width wise. try to get one about twice as long as your speedo. Also while you are there pick up a small CPU fan designed to run on 12 volts. Mount your speedo into the box. on the end opposite the speedo drill some holes in the lid of the box. On the same end as your speedo drill some more holes and then mount the fan over the speedo. Wire your fan so that it comes on when you hook the battery up. This should keep your speed control cool and make it water resistant, but not water proof. I don't remember for sure but you can change the direction the way the fan moves air. YOu might try it blowing air from the box and then try it blowing air into the box to see which cools the speed control the best. i would probably recommend using the fan to blow the warm air from the box and suck in cool air.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode