don't like my shocks.... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Prerunner Cars & Trucks Discussion about Off-Road Prerunner Cars & Trucks 2 or 4-Wheeldrive

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-15-2001, 12:56 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

don\'t like my shocks....

i was looking at different shocks for the MJ....how long can you get those bilstine 7100 shocks? and where can you order them?

I'm sorry, you have dialed a number that has been disconected or is no longer in service. If you feel you have reached this recording in error, please check the number and try your call again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-15-2001, 04:02 PM
Addict

Re: don\'t like my shocks....

try www.bilstien.com

it should take you to a retailer website

samir

post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-16-2001, 11:49 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Get the Fox 2.0's.. Very simple to work on and adjust and you can find them used for about $100 each.. I run them both in my truck and buggie.. To find your size flex up yor MJ to the max and mesure from the middle of shock mount to mount extended and compressed.. Then you can find the length that matches.. You may need to fab your own mounting locations because they use heim ends...
Try:
http://race-dezert.com/
http://www.go-desert.com/mainpage.html
Check both places in the Classifides often..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-17-2001, 01:43 AM
cleartoy

7100s come in 14" as their longest.

www.bajaconcepts.com
www.offroadwarehouse.com

-cleartoy

Got sand?

post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-19-2001, 12:04 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hey Aaron:

Here are my thoughts on shocks: Troy's right, the Fox's are easier to find used and they are much easier to work on. They don't require all the special tools the Bilsteins need. They also have a thicker shaft. He's also absolutely correct that you need to cycle your suspension or you're going to have a problem.

I have 4 Bilstein 7100's on the front of my F250. They work great. The reason I chose them is because in the resevior configuration you can put a 2 inch longer shaft in the standard shock. I needed a 12 inch shock for travel, but the compressed length was too long. A 10 inch shock with a 12 inch shaft (they call this a "short body" 12 inch) was perfect. I don't think you can do this with the Foxes.

Also, I paid $150 each for mine at WeldTecDesigns in Santee. I think he's up to $160 now. Easily the best price in the greater San Diego area.

Hope this helps, george.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-19-2001, 03:16 PM
Pooh-Bah

I just found out something I wish I'd known a year ago. Bilstein makes 12" and 14" shocks for $69!!!! I bought four 14"rz to use on my buggy. I'll make some mounts later for the truck.

They are 5100 series, as in regular looking rubber ends yellow Bilstein. They say non-rebuildable just like their street shox, but that's hogwash! Special tools: None. Regular tools: Teeny screwdriver, channel-locks or big pliers, 13mm wrench, drill n tap for 1/8 NPT, compressed gas or air.

Chevota
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-20-2001, 01:21 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hey, thanks for the info..i didn't know they had those.......i think i'll have to get those....i'm ready to put new shocks on this weekend actually....i'll have to stop by 4-wheel parts.
thanks a lot.
-Aaron

I'm sorry, you have dialed a number that has been disconected or is no longer in service. If you feel you have reached this recording in error, please check the number and try your call again.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-20-2001, 02:47 PM
Pooh-Bah

I don't think 4wheel carries Bilstein, at least the one by me doesn't. I bought mine at ORW, they are also the cheapest around.

The valving was 255/70 on the 14"rz I bought. But like I said, easily changed.

There is a lot of Bilstein info here to look at: www.eshocks.com/bil_ORgr.asp, especially in the "Parts, Accessories and Modification" section. Use the 7100 series parts section for parts to fit the 5100 series. The end cap with the shaft seal is different because the 7100 is threaded in, and the 5100 uses a "C" clip or ring to hold the whole ball of wax together. But the valves discs etc are the same.

If you're interisted I can show you how to make a cheap air-stop out of one.

Chevota
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode