rear springs - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Prerunner Cars & Trucks Discussion about Off-Road Prerunner Cars & Trucks 2 or 4-Wheeldrive

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-22-2001, 08:26 PM Thread Starter
Addict

rear springs

does anyone have any experinece putting together custom prerunner leaf springs? i plan to get nationals / deaver someday but right now i am terribly broke.

so i am trying to put together something like the rockcrawler dudes do, using a mixture of mazda and toyota 2wd springs - and i'll try to fine tune it for prerunning.

looking for any thoughts/ideas/comments

samir

"...really, I can do this"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-22-2001, 08:40 PM
cleartoy

Re: rear springs

Im running 62" Nationals under axle on my 85 Toyota.

You could get the 56" springs from All Pro, and just mount them under axle.

-cleartoy

Got sand?

post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-23-2001, 07:55 AM Thread Starter
Addict

thanks again cleartoy.
yes i am saving up for some real good spring (like you have on your baby), but untill then i want to keep spending to a minimum on something i'll just toss out in a year or two. And thus scrap yards come in.

just out of curiosity - do you have any experience with the all pro-springs. my gut feeling is they wouldnt be able to put up with a lot of abuse or they would be better know in the prerunnin realm.

also - why did you switch your springs to under the axel? is that cause you didnt want excessive lift? My truck is a 2wd and it is originally set up under the axel - i was thinking of switiching to over to clear larger tires (31s).

samir

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-23-2001, 09:33 AM
cleartoy

This is the reasoning behind spring under axle.
####Per given ride height#### under axle will yeild more wheel travel. That is if 2 of the same trucks are compared.
The under axle spring will have to have alot of arch and lift to maintain the same ride height. With under axle, the spring pack is not in the way of compression. There is also less axle wrap.

Im running glass bedsides, so i have plenty of room for these or bigger tires. If you are running the stock 2wd bed, you will need to flip the axle to clear 31s. Excessive lift is bad. It will not handle well in the corners if it is lifted to the max.

Never knew anybody that has actually used All Pro springs.

-cleartoy

Got sand?

post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-23-2001, 10:33 AM Thread Starter
Addict

cleartoy - thanks for explaining that.
there is not much left of the stock bed thanks to wisconsin winters LOL!
i think i'm going to experiment with both setups (over axel and under) and if i like the way the under handles better - i probably will whip up a flat bed.

hey - am curious about your 'muffler' post.
you have california plates - how do you get away with no cat?

samir

post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-23-2001, 07:22 PM
cleartoy

Lots of salt back east huh?

Smog check is is bi-eniaal....meaning every 2 years you have to pass a smog check in CA. I have a garage full of smog parts for my truck. When i need to smog it, i install the cat, and the stock intake manifold and carb. I also have to hook up the heat stove from the header to the intake assembly.

Between smogs, i run dual Weber 40MM side draft carbs, stage 2 cam(that actually passes), header(smog legal), 2.25" exhaust with no cat(have the test pipe and cat flanged to the same length so its a bolt on affair.)

Welp, thats the breaks living in this $hithole of a state. UT here i come!

-cleartoy

Got sand?

post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-25-2001, 10:32 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hi Sam,

Please let us know what you find out after experimenting with different springs, both under and over the axle. Like you, I have limited funds and cannot afford a set of Deavers right now. Right now I have an add-a-leaf, which has stiffened the rear ride somewhat, but it's mostly for looks and to help with cargo capacity. I realize stock springs are rated at higher spring rates (around 1000 lbs. or more?) than springs like Deavers, which I believe are around 500 to 600 lbs. So I'd like to compromise with a little bit more travel, yet maintain a higher cargo capacity than what's offered with a set of Deaver prerunner packs since my truck is my daily driver and I still need it to haul stuff on occasion.

Good luck with your project and take care,

BooRunner (Ed)
[email protected]
http://members.aol.com/equin44484/boorunnerpage.html
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-25-2001, 10:36 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hi Cleartoy,

When you went under the axle, did you have to relocate the front spring mounts with your longer leaf pack? If not, do you know of any stock leaf packs, such as a 56" (or 60"?) from a Chevy or Ford that would work good under the axle and still maintain some ride height on a 99 Taco Prerunner for 32's?

By the way, cool setup you have with your exhaust. Your truck is one of my favorites. Did you ever test the rear weight balance with your new rear bumper/tire carrier on any jumps?

Take care amigo,

BooRunner (Ed)
[email protected]
http://members.aol.com/equin44484/boorunnerpage.html
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-25-2001, 11:50 PM
cleartoy

Yes, i had to put the new front spring hanger about 5" forward(eye to eye) and also move the rear mount backwards.

Thanks for the compliments. Damn, im havin a hard time spellin tonight. Yes, with the added weight distribuition of the rear bumper and dual 33's out back, it jumps much more predictably, mostly nose in the air and lands on rear wheels first. Thats how i like it.

When i first got the rear glass, with nothing else back there, its was scarry! Any little jump or whoop de doos and the rear end was in the air. Acted like it wanted to go end over end. of course, i just had some Downey springs in the stock mounts and smaller shocks.

Im pleased with my solid axle Toyota for the most part.

-cleartoy

Got sand?

post #10 of (permalink) Old 07-26-2001, 09:03 PM Thread Starter
Addict

ed
sure thing - will share pictures and comments with you folks.

It may be a month or so before i am able to test anything - reason being - i took off the bed and after looking at the rust underneath.... have decided to sandblast and paint the frame, differential, driveline..etc.. I figure i'll have to drop the gas tank to weld the spring mount on - might as well fix everthing while i have it all apart.

samir

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode