Help me lift a 99 Ranger 2wd please - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Prerunner Cars & Trucks Discussion about Off-Road Prerunner Cars & Trucks 2 or 4-Wheeldrive

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2001, 10:04 PM Thread Starter
Mud in my Veins

Help me lift a 99 Ranger 2wd please

A buddy wants to lift his 1999 Ford Ranger 2wd truck. He's not looking to make a PreRunner and isn't into that bulged fibreglass fender look. Bascially he just wants to make his truck look taller and have bigger tires. Still, he doesn't know a lot about modifying vehicles, so I said I would help him research and plan it. I am not all that familiar with 2wd lifts and such, so I am asking you guys for help.

He's interested in the Fabtech 5.5" lift. I've heard bad things about Fabtech when used offroad. Thing is, he has absolutely no plans in taking it offroad, so I think it would be more than strong enough for him. He washes, waxes, and details it every weekend. I seriously doubt it is ever going to leave pavement. Are there any downsides to the Fabtech lift that he and I should be aware of?

How much lift would he need to clear 32x11.5R15 tires? We figure the 5.5" or so would be more than enough, but don't want him to end up with a lot of lift and teensy tires.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

That's about it. I am thinking we will just go with blocks in the rear, since it's a 4.0 V6 with a stick. Peppy sure, but not like axle wrap will ever be an issue on the highway.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

How are the Fabtech shocks?

1992 Blazer Sport, 350 TBI, 4L60, 3" Flowmaster, K&N, MSD coil & wires, Rancho 2.5" lift, 285/75R16 AT's[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-11-2001, 11:16 PM
Old Hand

Re: Help me lift a 99 Ranger 2wd please

I'm helping my buddy with his '98 for his graduation present. We're doing a 2" body and the 3.5" fabtech kit. He's only gonna run 31" cus it's only a 4 banger. He could cuple that 5.5" kit and a 1 or 2" body for 33's, that'd look pretty cool. Where is he located? If in San Diego, or even so cal, I can recommend a couple places to get the kit at. Hope this helps.

AARON

Drive it like you stole it!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-12-2001, 01:07 AM Thread Starter
Mud in my Veins

Yep, northern San Diego. I'm at MCAS Miramar, and he works right near here.
He doesn't want to go with 33's because he really wants to avoid having to regear. It's a looks truck, probably will never go offroad, so he wants it to look and drive nice, doesn't want to spend all the extra cash on gears.
Where would you recommend? So far RV Performance and Tyres International are the price leaders with $1100 for the complete kit shipped to his door.
Where would you get the lift installed? We're thinking ORU on Balboa avenue. They have said $610 to install the lift.

1992 Blazer Sport, 350 TBI, 4L60, 3" Flowmaster, K&N, MSD coil & wires, Rancho 2.5" lift, 285/75R16 AT's[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-12-2001, 05:52 PM
Old Hand

Dude, $610 for an install? that's crazy, (typical of ORW!). I'm gonna help my buddy this week or next, and figure out how to do it. Then, if that goes well, I'll get back to you if I can install it on his. Was he just gonna do the 5.5 Fabtech one? I would go with that place that you mentioned, the RV Performance and Tyres is pretty cheap. Where are they located? I was gonna go through 4 Wheel Parts. Might be getting a job there, so I try to support them. (Nothing against ORW, just their prices are pretty high.) Give me an e-mail, [email protected]

AARON

Drive it like you stole it!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-13-2001, 02:29 AM Thread Starter
Mud in my Veins

He's all for saving money, so I will update him to this. Tell me if you think you can do it. It's the 5.5" Fabtech lift, all it seems to be are upper A-arms, longer spindles, and longer coil springs. The rear is just a regular 3" block.

RV Performance is in Santa Clara I beleive, not to far. Tyres International is in like Ohio or something. They both advertise in Four Wheeler and 4Wheel & Offroad.

No offense dude, but I wouldn't trust 4WPW for anything. They screwed me over good, and not many people think all that positive of them. Go to the Full Size Chevy forum on here, and look back within the last day to see a post about it. I don't feel like repeating my rather lengthy reply here. 4WPW put my lift on my truck, and ORW in Balboa did a lift on my buddy's 4x4 Toyota. ORW did a much better job and was all around better to deal with. I will never do business with 4WPW again. No offense ment or anything, hopefully you could be the start of a turn around in customer service for them.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-13-2001, 10:13 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Ditto the 4WPW comments. I used to go in there occassionally, but as long as Mark's at the El Cajon store I'll never set foot in there again. I was lied to too many times when he was with Cepek and one time too many when he came to 4WPW. They have some guys who know what they're doing but the culture seems to be to hell with honesty or knowledge, get as deep in the pocket as you can.

But Aaron, a job's a job and you can make connections there.

George.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-13-2001, 12:51 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Check out Truckperformancecenter.com they have info for the truck you want to lift and have it for i think $1143. I have always had good service from them, they are in So. Cal. also.

Kevin
<><

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode