Let's start an argument - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Prerunner Cars & Trucks Discussion about Off-Road Prerunner Cars & Trucks 2 or 4-Wheeldrive

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-20-2001, 02:09 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Let\'s start an argument

Ok guys, hereís the deal: As some of you know Iím considering moving from pitting for the McMillins to actually racing a vehicle with my brother. My plan includes building a prerunner and setting up a side business over the next 12 to 18 months to pay for the racing. Iíve sold one Harley and need to sell my Bronco, but Iím about ready to start the prerunner. Itíll be a truck since I need it as a street vehicle as well.

Iím considering three different vehicles: a ranger, an f150, or (and this is the weird one) a 2wd F350 crew cab shortened to put the rear axle as close as possible to the cab. (Iíve got a wife and three kids.) Iíll be running the v6 if itís the ranger and probably an SB 351 for a big truck. Itíll be an automatic. Iíll run coilovers and an engine cage in the front for all three. Iíd run nationals and shock hoops on the back of a big truck with the rear hangers reversed, but I might go with a four link on the rear of a ranger.

What are your opinions regarding whatís best in the sense of vehicles, options, speed, the ability to jump or take whoops, etc. Anything short of putting a Dana 60 on leafs in the front will be considered.

George.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-20-2001, 03:38 PM
Old Hand

Re: Let\'s start an argument

From my experience, I would go with a Ranger. Get the 4.0 and a king cab. that way you can haul the kid in the back, and wife up front. Plus Ranger are very easy yo build and there are parts galore around. they are also very light that will help a lot when pre-running. Where are you located? I'm in So cal, San Diego exactly and would love to help in any races or anything. Good luck,

AARON

Drive it like you stole it!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-20-2001, 03:47 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

It's true about ease of building, parts availability and lightness, but there's a whole lot of gofast in a full size truck.

Arron, you mentioned wanting to start fabbing your own stuff a few weeks back. I've got a Century 125 amp Mig welder new in the box in my garage that I'm going to take out to the El Cajon swap meet when I get time. Let me know if you're interested.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-20-2001, 08:36 PM
Old Hand

Actually I have a welder, I just need a notcher and a tube bender. Got one of those? This sat? I might show up. When does it start?

AARON

Drive it like you stole it!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-21-2001, 08:58 AM
cleartoy

I think the F150 would be the choice, because of the v8, and stronger components from the factory.

Thats odd, cuz i like compact trucks. I have a 4 cyl Toy, and have toyed with the idea of an f150, with a similar set up as you are talking about.

So i would go F 150 #1, Ranger #2, and I wouldnt reccomend the f350 for racing, due to the sheer size and weight.

-cleartoy

Got sand?

post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-21-2001, 11:19 AM
VORRA#65

AARONR
My bender and notcher just got here a couple of days ago, real sweet. I got the JD2 model 3 with 1.5" and 1" plus their notcher all shipped to my door. $900
will be building the stand for it and a welding table this weekend.

George,
Do the Ranger,power to weight ratio. Rangers look good, fly great. And all the money you save not building the F150, you can put into your racecar.Somebody had a nice extra cab prerunner for sale on race-Dezert, Black with the 4.0 and fibreglass front and rear.ID# : 2576
Keep us posted.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 33-404053-salep2576n1.jpg (36.4 KB, 13 views)
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-21-2001, 02:34 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks guys, I'm still thinkin'. Rained today so no swapmeet. I have a notcher that I got from Harbor Frieght Tools. It's not as good as the ones like Rich Minga sells, but it goes on sale about every other month and you can pick it up for about $50.

I know the 350's heavy, but sometimes that's a plus. My friend Jeremy beat all the Protrucks, all the class 8 trucks, and all the open 7 trucks in a stock full class f350 in the Baja 2000. I hear Syko is selling his stock full f150 and going to a Trophy Truck because he can't win anymore. Check it out:

http://www.off-road.com/4x4web/featu...SPIRKOFF2.html

George.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-09-2001, 06:03 PM
Addict

I agree with the Ranger. if you feel like you need more power, James Duff and quite a few other companies make kits to drop a 302 in. I've seen a few fuel-injected 5.0 Rangers running around, and wow are they quick. Best of all its a Ford-Ford swap.

Dean
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-30-2001, 02:44 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Ranger, old with the forged i beams, 5 speed, modified 4.0; 4.0 block, 2.9 crank, supercharger, cam, port. polish/balance, ignition mods. Would be pretty cool I think, rev like mad and make good power.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode