General info on prerunners - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Prerunner Cars & Trucks Discussion about Off-Road Prerunner Cars & Trucks 2 or 4-Wheeldrive

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-05-2001, 12:29 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

General info on prerunners

I was just wondering what exactly is a prerunner. I see 4x4's and 2wd versions. What modifications are done in order to make a truck a prerunner? From what i can tell it is light, fast trucks that can soak up bumps. WHich would be the best kind of truck to make a prerunner? I have a Mitsubishi mighty max that needs some lovin, would it be a good candidate?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-05-2001, 11:30 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: General info on prerunners

What a prerunner is, is best understood if you know the history. They've been around a long, long time. A prerunner used to be a vehicle that was used by desert racers (SCORE and SNORE in historic times) to run sections of the race "course" before the race. Typically, they were older, retired race cars (buggies mostly) that were no longer up to racing but were still servicable. When trucks became more popular the truck guys began doing the same thing, using old race trucks to prerun the course.

The prerunner of today is based on this model. They use off road racing principals to build a truck that is similar to a race truck but is still streetable. You are correct that the idea, in a real prerunner as opposed to a street truck that looks like one, is to gobble up relatively rough terrain FAST. It's not, as the magazine pictures would have you believe, to make a truck that jumps (even though that's a fun side effect.) To do this you have to unlearn everything you've learned about mud and rockcrawling because the principles are different.

If you are talking small truck the best candidates are '97 and earlier rangers or toyotas. I lean toward the Ford but if I said they were the best Cleartoy would immediately come on with reasons Toyota is the best. It's really a toss up. There's a lot of good off the rack stuff for both, but make sure some showroom salesman isn't selling you some piece o' crap street lift. (And stay away from body lifts.) I see 'm all the time here.

As for the mighty max, I'm sure a good fabricator could make prerunner out of it, but I have no idea how good it would be since I've never seen one built. I'd also be surpised to find a good desert race fabricator in your area of the woods, but feel free to surprise me.

George.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-06-2001, 12:37 PM
VORRA#65

Execellent explanation-George. What kind of law do you practice?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-06-2001, 02:15 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks. I actually don't practice anymore. I work for the San Diego Superior Court as a Staff Attorney Supervisor. We don't represent clients but work for and advise the judges directly. It's a nice job because I can always get time off to go to Laughlin in Jan., San Felipe in March, well, you get the idea. I grew up going out to Borrego and riding Hodaka's and have pitted for various SCORE racers off an on since about '85. Lately, since my friend Jeremy Spirkoff built his stock full truck, I've been thinking about doing the same myself. But then, I might decide to go 2/1600.

Thanks again, george.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-07-2001, 12:08 AM
cleartoy

I dont think i can add much to what Socal said. He pretty much covered it.

AS far as Toyota vs. Ford....I would have to say that when using stock suspension mounting points, the Ford I beam will deffinitely offer more wheel travel hands down.

The guy that does my fabrication has a 2wd Toyota and chopped the front of the frame off from the engine mounts forward and has built a sub frame with center mount arms and coilover Bilstiens.....he has sick travel. That is ALOT of work though. Talking about dawn to dusk fabricating on the weekends.

-cleartoy

Got sand?

post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-13-2002, 09:18 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

Just wandered over here from the Jeep Mid Sized Board to find out what a "Pre Runner" was....found this post and thought it might help others who didn't have a clue. Thanks, socalquad![img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

btt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode