Need some ideas - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Prerunner Cars & Trucks Discussion about Off-Road Prerunner Cars & Trucks 2 or 4-Wheeldrive

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-16-2001, 03:05 PM
VORRA#65

Need some ideas

84 Toyota Std. Cab 4x4 Straight Axle

I use this truck for camping and getting back in the sticks to prospect. What I need some advice with is: I use this truck four times a year to prerun for offroad desert racing in Nevada. What can I do to the suspension to improve the ride(soften it up a little bit). I know, if I had the IFS-it would would ride alot better. But I need the SA to crawl around in the hills. Is there a happy medium? Iv'e got a lift on the truck and trailmaster's on all four corners. Is there a spring change I could do? I like the way Cleartoys truck is setup. But I can't do the shocks through the bed thing.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-16-2001, 08:40 PM
Old Hand

Re: Need some ideas

There are softer/ flexy springs that you can get. Also good shocks is another great improvement. But you also have to understand that w/ a solid axle, it will ride like a solid axle. If you are really serious about pre-running, get another w/ ifs? I know money is always a factor, other wise i'd have a pre-runner, a rock-buggy, a daily and a sand rail...***oops, daydreaming. Hope this helps any.

AARON

Drive it like you stole it!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-16-2001, 11:05 PM
cleartoy

My previous set up included 10" FOXs mounted underneath a stock bed. I had to remove the bed for fabrication of the shock mounts, but it sat like 1.5-2" below the bed. I ran that set up with Downey springs. It rode ok for the 2 years i had that set up. I just didnt like it when i hit the load leaf! In fact, i still have them sitting in the garage.

The problem is you cant run any larger than 31" tires in the rear and clear the bed under compression. That is with stock bumpstops!
If you get a 89-95 bed, you can peel off the outer steel shell, and bolt glass bed sides on to clear 33-35s with no bumpstops!

My experience with the Nationals up front(bolt in) and dual FOX 10" with res, is that it was very stiff when i first got it. It has sagged a bit, is a little softer, but still kind of harsh. It is ok for faster pace, but i would do well to go under axle with longer springs.

Out back, im running the long Nationals under axle, and had to remove 2 leaves per pack to get it to ride good with 2.5" diameter SAWs. It rides soft out back now. I love it.

If soft riding is what you want, get RS9000 shocks set on one, and get Downey springs. IF you really want to be competetive, i would get resiviored gas shocks, with National or Deaver springs.

Hope this helps! Let me know.

-cleartoy

Got sand?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-19-2001, 10:43 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I'd avoid RS 9000s. I've used them and they have two problems for prerunning/desert driving; the valving is set up for the street or rockcrawling and they are not gas charged.

The valving in the RS series of shocks is set up nearly 50/50 on compression and rebound. This is fine for the street and slow four wheeling. However, to run in the desert fast you want the rebound valving softer so the suspension can unload. Otherwise the suspension loads up and at about the third whoop the rear end will give you a nice wild ride by kicking way up in the air.

The gas charge keeps the oil in the shock from foaming when the shock heats up from use. Once it foams you get shock fade. The gas pressure also provides some secondary suspesion assistance, but not much.

If you don't want to go to resevoir shocks (BTY, I love my Bilstein 7100's) I'd try the Bilstein 5100 series shock. It's a high performance off road shock that's valved more for the desert than most of the other nonracing type shocks.

Cleartoy is right though, to get major improvement you have to soften the springs. Suspension travel is no good if you can't use it because the springs are too stiff and travel is the name of the game in the desert.

Have fun, george.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-19-2001, 07:22 PM
VORRA#65

I made it out to the season opener for VORRA (Valley Off Road Racing Assn.) this weekend. Got some got digi-pic's. I'll try to get them up later this evening. Saw a sweet SA Toyota prerunner. Too bad it was late in the day when I finally saw it. Couldn't find the owner to ask any questions. Watch for pic's later.Thanks to all for advice.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode