2wd in sand - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Prerunner Cars & Trucks Discussion about Off-Road Prerunner Cars & Trucks 2 or 4-Wheeldrive

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-07-2001, 10:09 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

2wd in sand

how do 2wd trucks handle the sand? If you had a locker and aired down and it wasnt a heavy truck, just a ranger, would it get stuck in the sand? Sand is as in glamis and imperial county sand dunes.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2001, 08:14 PM
Drew K1500

Re: 2wd in sand

A light 2wd will do well in sand with your setup if you have some fairly aggressive tires and dont stop. If the sand is not to deep then youll do fine. You will have a problem if it gets to deep. My old Nissan 2wd had a locker and as long as i kept momentum i was alright.

How does it feel to be beaten by a sewing machine?

HUSQVARNA MOTORCYCLES
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2001, 11:51 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

The single most important thing in driving in the sand is your driving experience and skill. At the SCORE Laughlin race there is a large sand hill that is an excellent viewing spot. I have a friend who was driving a bone stock 2wd suburban all over that hill both days of the race last year. It was great fun to sit on top between heats and watch all the hotshot 4wd's who couldn't make it up. You just have to go out and learn how to set up your equipment and how to drive in sand.

BTY, if sand is your thing, I'd go more for floatation that an agressive tread. You'll be happier both in the sand and on the street.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2001, 10:22 PM
cleartoy

Like So Cal said, experience makes a difference.

As to equipment, get the widest tires you can get, air them down to at least 15PSI, lower is better, but you can pop a bead. Gears and a locker are good, keep the RPMs up and you have to have alot of momentum. Horsepower makes a big difference.

Dont stop in a spot that you cant get goin easy again. If you have to stop somewhere, stop down hill if you can.

4WD is deffinitely perfered

-cleartoy

Got sand?

post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-17-2001, 11:19 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

i wondered this same thing when I got my first comanche (2wd) and it was completely stock and it sucked off road. and I rolled it to prove it then I got another comanche(almost the same exact truck) and put a 4.5" lift in the front, and 33" mudkings, and I did about 30hp in mods, ecomputer chip, air intake, and exhaust mods.....this truck is now faster than many many many full size 4x4 in the sand....i have to admit i have learned to drive a lot better since my comanche with no mods, but sand capability has to do a lot with the power you have in 2wd. i dont have lockers, but could probably use them

Aaron '74 Blazer 350 4x4 auto 35"bfgs m/t 6"lift. '88 Comanche 4.0l pre-runner 4.5" lift 33" mud king,(used to own an '89 bit rolled it 3 times) a '90 wrangler(untill some sick bastard stole it)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode