Hello, is this thing turned on? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Prerunner Cars & Trucks Discussion about Off-Road Prerunner Cars & Trucks 2 or 4-Wheeldrive

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2001, 12:43 AM
cleartoy

Hello, is this thing turned on?

Havent seen any new posts in here in awhile.

SO lets describe our trucks. How are they equipped, what do you use it for? Where do you go off roading?

I have an 85 Toyota xtracab 4x4. It has Ivan glass front and rear. Im running dual FOX 2.0s with res up front with Nationals. Out back im running SAW 2.5" Race Runners with 62" Nationals under axle and dog leg shackles. I have relocated the battery and gas tank to the rear. Im also running a spare tire out back for better weight distribution. IM running BFG MT 33-12.50-15s on 10s. 529s and Lock Rites in both diffs. Centerforce dual friction clutch, header, 2.25" exhauss, cam.

It is my daily driver. I take it to the desert to tear up sand dunes, washes, and whoops. I also tow a trailer to get my Banshee and all camping gear out there.

-cleartoy

Got sand?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2001, 02:41 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Hello, is this thing turned on?

Well my truck is nothing compared to that. But, it sure is fun. I have a 92' Nissan standard cab pick up. It has Fabtech upper a-arms with balljoint spacers. I also have milled balljoints to accomodate the extra travel. I have flared sheetmetal fenders in the front, with magna flow exhaust in the back. It carries my girlfriend and i with my bike, to lucerne valley at least once a month in the winter for some fun in the dirt.

Kevin
<><

post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2001, 06:51 PM
Drew K1500

My prerunner was a 1993 Nissan 2wd with a 4" custom fabricated upper and lower a arms and a 2" body lift. A SEV6 4x4 rear axle with lockright locker. Fox remote reservior shocks and fiberglass front fenders. A 2.4 4-cylinder and some custom prerunner bumpers. My dad traded it in for a 1994 GMC Jimmy when i went to basic training. I now have a 1993 Chevy 1/2 ton. With some pretty decent prerunner mods. But alas, its not the Nissan.

How does it feel to be beaten by a sewing machine?

HUSQVARNA MOTORCYCLES
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2001, 12:10 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hey Cleartoy, I didn't see anything about air bumps in your description. Still running them?

Since you prompted, I have a stupid question. What's the theory behind dog leg shackles? I'm usually pretty good at understanding or figuring out what susendion mods do, but this one puzzles me.

I'll let you know about my prerunner as soon as I sell my Bronco and build it. I assume nobody in the prerunner section wants to hear about an F250 Crew Cab or a Bronco.

Socalquad.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2001, 10:19 PM
cleartoy

Hey hows it goin? I never installed the air bumps. When i got the Nationals and SAW 2.5" shocks out back, it was so stiff, i didnt think id be able to bottom out. Since then ive relocated the gas tank all the way back, taken out 2 leaves per spring pack, relocated the Optima out back, and mounted a spare tire way far back. After a few desert trips, i can compress the shocks to within 1/4".

Id really like to have the air bumps up front, as im lacking travel there.

Dog legg shackles are a reverse c ). On extension, it allows more travel, as it swings forward.

Ive got an idea for using 2 shackles per spring up front to allow sick extension travel.

Well Ive learned alot from all this, and have some ideas for the future.

-cleartoy

Got sand?

post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-13-2001, 04:20 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hi Cleartoy,

Your truck sounds pretty cool. How do your rear Nationals handle the towing and cargo hauling? Do they sag any when you're towing or have a load in the bed? Also, how do you like the Lockrights? I'm thinking getting one, but I hear mixed reviews about their long term reliability.

My 99 Tacoma Prerunner isn't setup as good as yours. I just have a set of Downey adjustable coil-overs with regular 5100 series Bilsteins up front, a Warn add-a-leaf for a Jeep Cherokee in the back and regular 5100 series Bilsteins for an FJ-40 Landcruiser in the rear. The rear is pretty stiff, even with a 100 lb. Stout Equipment rear bumper. Ride height all around is about 2", which allows me to run 32" BFG AT/KOs on stock 15x7 alloys. Like I said, I would like to add a locker out back and am considering the Lockright, but I might wait until Detroit comes out with an application for the Taco's 8.4" rear diff.

When I get it all paid off, I might go with a long travel kit, like Camburg's or ATS, up front and some Deaver springs in the back. Right now, I'm thinking of selling my Downey's and going with the new SAW 2.0" coil-overs with 600 lb. coils.

It's my daily driver and only means of transportation for now. Every once in awhile I take it on some light trails and dirt roads, but nothing too serious. No dunes or desert in North Texas to play in

Take care,

BooRunner (Ed)
[email protected]
http://members.aol.com/equin44484/boorunnerpage.html
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-13-2001, 06:40 PM
cleartoy

The Nationals handled the trailer towing confidently. I only did it once when i had all 9 leaves in the packs.
I removed 2 leaves per pack to soften the ride and drop the rear end down. I have glass bedsides, no more bed. In that area, i have the shock mmounts, gas tank mounted all the way back, and a bumper with spare tire mounted.

Check out www.camburg.com to see what they did with a Taco Pre runner.

The lock rights are a great benefit in the sand. I have noticed that they lock and unlock however, and im not fond of that. The manual says it gives traction to the tire with the most friction. I was hoping for 100%lockup. I guess you get what you pay for. It was like $260 ea, wheras the Detroit is over $400ea. On the street, they buck, and chirp tires, but you get used to it.

-cleartoy

Got sand?

post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-13-2001, 11:26 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for the info on the Nationals and the Lockright. How much ride height do you have up front and in the rear? By the way, do you have any pics of your truck?

I've visited Camburg's site before and saw that Taco prerunner. It looks awesome. One of the things I've wondered about that setup is if it's been tested yet. I know the long travel kit at Advanced Toyota Suspension has been tested. I've also heard good things about Baja Concepts long travel work, but I don't think they've started working on any Tacos yet. Lots of interesting stuff for the early Toys, though.

Well, take care,

BooRunner (Ed)
[email protected]
http://members.aol.com/equin44484/boorunnerpage.html
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-14-2001, 08:54 AM
cleartoy

I have pics, but i cant find the disc cuz someone was nosing around my computer and moved everything. Ill take some new ones soon, if i dont get the discs.

It has 5" lift up front, out back i would say now 1-2". It sits up in front just a little. It was 3" before i took out the 2 leaves, and moved the spare tire back a foot.

Good point about the Camburg setup.

Have a good one bro.

-cleartoy

Got sand?

post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-17-2001, 10:48 AM
cleartoy

heres some of it in the driveway. Cant find the disc of pics in the desert.

-cleartoy

Got sand?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 33-308279-mvc-019f.jpg (51.9 KB, 15 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode