bump stop shocks - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Prerunner Cars & Trucks Discussion about Off-Road Prerunner Cars & Trucks 2 or 4-Wheeldrive

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-01-2000, 09:34 AM
cleartoy

bump stop shocks

Just bought a set of Bilstien air bumps. I want to change the oil. How much should i use? What weight?

Also, after changing the oil, how much air should i use in them?

Thanks!

-cleartoy

Got sand?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-01-2000, 09:53 AM
Pooh-Bah

Re: bump stop shocks

Cleartoy,

Dunno, but probably the same as the SAW bump stops. Looks like the only real difference is in the pad (I just checked Bilstein's web site and they have a cool photo of it!).

I would call ORW and see if you can get them to answer it for you! They're a full line distributor... otherwise if you check out Bilstein's web site under "new products" they have an 800 number for "more information".

Hope that helps!

J.R. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

http://members.xoom.com/desertride/index.htm
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-02-2000, 11:32 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Cleartoy:

I have about a half dozen Bilstein Catalogs, including the most recent race catalog, and none list the wieght of the oil. Bilstein appears to only sell it by the gallon and it's part number 194131. You probably don't want that much so when you find out what the oil properties are, got to a motorcycle shop and get fork oil there.

As for the nitrogen (don't use air, it carries corrosives) it's adjustable based upon the weight of your truck and your use.

Somebody at ORW can probably help, but you have to get the right guy. Same thing at Fiber Tech in Santee. There's one guy there (who's name I forget) who knows that stuff. they also have a nitrogen filling station. I'd call RaceReady in Chula Vista and talk to Bob or Daniel. Or I'd call one of the fabrication places. H&M is pretty close to you.

I haven't had good experience with Bilstein's 800 number. There is a direct line out there, and I used to have it, but I can't find it now. Maybe you can get it from ORW or RaceReady.

When you find out, post it, I'd like to know, George.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-05-2000, 08:43 PM
cleartoy

So i went and talked to H&M Motorsports and I was informed that they are not supposed to be filled with air, as it will accuire moisture and possibly rust. So they drained the air out and recharged the [email protected] Cost was $5 ea. I was thrilled silly!

Now im on the move for some SAW 2.5" 14" shocks. They were out of them or i would have bought them from him.

-cleartoy

Got sand?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-08-2000, 07:43 PM
Journeyman

I would not use air and oil mixture as for it explodes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!

post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2000, 06:24 PM
Keyboard Implanted

yeah, you really shouldn't use regular compressed air because of the moisture that it contains unless you know that it is really dry air. nitrogen performs better anyway. nitrogen is real cheap too. they probably made $4 on you fill but who cares.
hey frenchy it is pure oxygen and oil that can explode! not air and oil. regular oxygen will try to catch anything on fire.

Tom Klippenstein
Don't call me sir, dammit i work for a living!
[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode