Ranger Questions - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Prerunner Cars & Trucks Discussion about Off-Road Prerunner Cars & Trucks 2 or 4-Wheeldrive

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2000, 01:43 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Ranger Questions

Hello,
I met a guy with an '88ish Ranger 2wd with 2.9l efi, 5 speed, extra cab. Obviously it needs to be prerunnered out. I can handle the cage, bumpers, ect. But I could use some advice on the suspension. I assume the front I beams can be bent like the earlier f150s, is there a good place and angle at which to bend them? Who makes a good cheap set of coils for this application? What about the rearend? Basically the guy is looking for a cheap suspension that will function well at break neck speeds. Any help is apreciated.
Thanks
Travis

So many Jeeps... So little time[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2000, 02:13 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Ranger Questions

The only thing a cheap suspention will do at break neck speeds is break and might get you killed.. If your going to do it then do it right.. There are many ways to do a low buck prerunner and a late 80's Ranger is a way to start.. Talk with these Fab companies and they can get you into a setup for your budget..
http://www.donahoeracing.com/index2.htm
http://www.camburg.com/

Those are for a start.. Call a random number in San Diego.. Most likely a fab shop or they have visited one and know the number by heart..
Also go here to the preRunner list to join..
http://www.prerunner.com/

-Troy [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]'<font color=red>WeaZle</font color=red>'[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] McCarty
http://www.TBRS.com
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2000, 03:46 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Ok, allow me to go into more detail so it's clearer what I'm trying to acomplish here. I am not trying to cob together a POS truck that's totally unsafe. I am however trying to save a guy some cash. He doesn't have a lot of money but was nice enough to give me a ride when my Jeep toasted it's motor. As such I would like to help him out. I'm planning on building him a bumper to bumper cage that will handle a 100mph whoops. I can accomplish this, but my knowledge of twin I beam suspension is fairly limited. Right now the owner thrashes the truck with the bonestock suspension and 235s. He was thinking of saving his pennies and installing a 4" skyjacker lift. I'm of the opinion that there is probably a better way to go. I know the old pre 80s F150 I beams could be bent to allign with 4" of lift at the cost of some track width. After searching around on the web it seems plenty of companies sell bent beams. I'm assuming this would be a better way to go then the drop brackets. I have access to a huge hydralic press used to straighten front beams on motorhomes and semis. This should work on a Ranger. I would guess the beams need to bent towards the wheel end where they are meatier. Correct? Is there a particular angle they need to bent at for 4" of lift or do you install the coils first then bend the beams to allign? Do the beams need to be heat treated or in some way reinforced after they are bent? Do any of the larger suspension companies make a 4" coil that works well for high speed desert travel and doesn't cost a fortune? i.e; Rancho, superlift, skyjacker, rough country, ect. As for shocks I was thinking of making double of triple shock mounts off the cage, and making him a set of extended radius arms. I assume off the shelf extended brake lines would work, but what about steering? Would a drop pitman be sufficient, or...? Is there anything I left out up front?

As for the rear if memory serves the ranger has a tension shackle. Is this correct? It's been a few weeks since I checked out the truck. If that's the case would a shackle flip be a good way to go in the rear? Once again I assume off the shelf extended brake lines and double of triple shocks tied to the cage would work. If the shackle flip won't work is there a setup you guys can recomend from expirence that works well and costs less then a custom National spring pack?

I'm little out of my element here since although I love going fast I choose the cheaper route for right now and go really slow over really big rocks. I really appreciate any advice you guys might have for me. Thanks Again
Travis

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2000, 03:51 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

i'd check the ford page (off-road.com). they did a ranger pre-runner project.

Get Dirty!!!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2000, 04:08 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for the tip, even though it's a 4x4 I'm sure it'll come in handy. My cumpooter is being finiky right now or I'd check it out.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-10-2000, 03:51 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

For what it's worth:

What you really need to do is ditch the stock suspension entirely and go with a quality coil over, but you know that. Since you're on a budget, I'd setup like this: get the softest 4in lift spring you can find in the catalogues, they'll all be rated higher than stock. Put on an air bump stop to ease bottoming. Ditch the stock shock mounts and go with the longest travel race type shock you can find. Mount the shock such that when enough paychecks have passed your friend can invest in the coilovers he needs.

The beams are a problem. Few of us have the press you do so we don't know the degrees. We just have it done. I'd suggest calling the smaller operations to get that information. Fabtech or Camburg is just going to try to sell you their beams (both of which are good.) If you can get ahold of somebody like Jeremy Spirkof at Spirit racing you should be able to get information. He's a nice kid who really knows his stuff and is willing to help out when he has the time (which isn't often given his race schedule.)

Good luck, socalquad.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode