a few lift questions - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Prerunner Cars & Trucks Discussion about Off-Road Prerunner Cars & Trucks 2 or 4-Wheeldrive

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-19-2000, 12:57 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

a few lift questions

I have a stock 2000 s10 2wd that i am planing on lifting. I am 17 and dont have an abundance of money so i am looking for a realativly inexpensive route. i will get a 2" body lift from performance accesories, but i want more of a lift than just that. i have heard that i can get a pair of 2" lift coils and the ball joint spacers for around 180 bucks, however i have also heard that if i do this it will make my ride rough. I live in South Carolina, so i wouldnt be going cross desert or anything, and 85% of my driving is on-road. would this really effect my ride all that much? also, i know it would be cheaper to get 2" coil spring spacers. are these safe and reliable? all together i expect to have around 4" of lift, is this enough to fit 31" all-terrains on stock rims? thank you for your time. -Jonathan

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-21-2000, 01:46 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: a few lift questions

my friend has a 99 S10 and 2" body lift, he runs 31" tires with no clearance problems...... My suggestion is do it right, or don't do it at all. Many companies make a 2wd kit for this truck, but the best I have seenas far as a "kit" is Fab-Tech's..... these guys know their stuff.... so, if you take my advice, save your money until you can afford this full kit and do the body lift first, which is cheap and looks nice.... don't waste your money on pieces that you might end up replacing down the road, like coil springs... As for spring spacers, they are designed to lift the front back up when you put something heavy on the front, like a winch or heavy bumper.... So yes, they are reliable and safe.... Use a 2" spacer MAX!!! and do 2" blocks in the rear and that will make for a cheap 4" lift with the body kit...

Josh K
Broomfield, CO
I love my wife, but my Jeepster has resale value...[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-21-2000, 02:16 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Ha...Hahahahahhaahhaha... Flabtech know there sh*t... Hahahahahahahahahahahah.. Quit ...Stop your makin milk come out my nose [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img].. Ok..ok.. hmmmm.. They are not all that bad for a street kit but for knowing there shtuff, there are better people out there than them.. They make a good street kit.. Thats about it.. Do you see anyone racing a Fabtech kit or even pre running one??
Try:
http://www.bajaconcepts.com/
and
http://www.camburg.com/
Both of these guys are racers and know what it takes to build an OFF-ROAD kit vs a street kit.. Gusseted and the welds are of better quality..
BTW.. blocks in the rear of an S-10 will only lower your truck.. Look underneath and you will see the axle sits on top of the springs.. You would need a spring over kit wich would net 3.5" lift in itself.. (thickness of the axle and leaves.)
I do agree with you on the do it right or not at all.. If your going with the suspention lift dont waste your money on a body lift.. Save it for the 6" kit.. If all you want to do is get bigger tires under there go with the body..

-Troy [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]'<font color=red>WeaZle</font color=red>'[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] McCarty
http://www.TBRS.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-21-2000, 05:06 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

hey josh, is that a 2wd truck you friend has? if so, i didnt know you could squeeze that much rubber under 2" of lift. i agree with yall that i shouldnt do anything if i dont do it right. i dont want to hurt my truck. i would go to camburg and get a kit far before i go to fabtech.

Weazle, would you recomend camburgs spindle kit? does it add downtravel or just lift? i dont want to have to re-gear, so 31" tires are as big as i want to go, so a 6" lift may be a little too much. i wasnt able to pull up the baja concepts page so i dont know what they offer. thanks for all the help

post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-21-2000, 05:35 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

From what I remember it is the same as the Camburg kit.. Little changes here and there.. Not sure on travel but I think it is the same as stock mabe a little more 2" or so.. Best bet is to call one of those shops and ask them.. I have not researched the 2wd as much as the 4wd's because that is what I have.. I also could not get into the BC page.. Hmm wonder whats up.. Yes spindels is the best way to lift or lower for that matter.. Every thing else is just a hack job that will ware out ball joints and steering parts.. I also recomend getting MOOG balljoints upper and lower when installing one of these kits unless they take care of that.. Don't reuse the OEM ones as they will not like bending that far and will fail within a few months if you froad it.. Ask me I know..Yea another $200 on the plate but better than $400 at a shop and 2 days downtime at a random date in the future..
What engine, tranny, gearing do you have? When I ran 31's with 3.73's auto V6 it was fine.. Now with 33's I am saving for 4.10's..

-Troy [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]'<font color=red>WeaZle</font color=red>'[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] McCarty
http://www.TBRS.com
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-21-2000, 07:28 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

What Weazle said about the balljoints is totally true!! I had to replace mine 2 times in my Nissan before I had a local shop mill some Moog Balljoints so it would not bend the knuckle out of the ball in the balljoint. But you definately will need to get new Balljoints.

<><

Kevin
http://get.to\ROMP.com

post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-21-2000, 07:54 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

i have the 4.3 auto so i should be able to roll those 31's fine. thanks for the info on the ball joints

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode