my first prerunner - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Prerunner Cars & Trucks Discussion about Off-Road Prerunner Cars & Trucks 2 or 4-Wheeldrive

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2003, 05:04 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

my first prerunner

I live in central kansas and go to the dunes in Wynoka Oklahoma alot. The sand there is deep and soft
with no hard pan. I am wanting to build my first, and possably the first in this state, prerunner. My choice
of vehicle is going to be around a 97 F-150. The big question is will i need 4 wheel drive with the soft deep
sand or will a 2 wheeler work ok? Any help would be very appreciated! [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2003, 07:51 AM
cleartoy

Re: my first prerunner

ID say youd be better off with 4wd. Youll have a better chance of getting going when you are stopped. 2wd is fine as long as you keep goin, but if its super soft like you are saying, it may tend to dig in from a stop.

IT will be more difficult to build a 97 F150 4wd, as i dont know of any pre made wider arm kits.

As for me, im running a 2wd Toyota myself. In the sand i air down to 15psi up front and 10psi for packed sand in the rear. If its deep i go to 7psi and it gets around ok on 33-12.50-15 BFG MTs. This is with a locker and 488 gears.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2003, 12:59 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks so much for the help. What 4x4 will give me the best travel, i'll need lotsa lotsa travel. Also where
may I find good info on building cages front to back ie picks,blueprints, or any thing? In this area there are
allot of buggys,circle burners,demo cars and drag cars with nice pipe work but you say PRERUNNER or
DESERT RACE TRUCK and people look at me like I'm a freak from an alternate universe. The big thing
around here is jack a junk (about 4-6'' of lift on a chevy and wow look at that everyone says). Well
not me, I want good suspention and torque. Thanks agian for the help.

from the guy out west where they think 4 link
is just a really short peice of chain!!!!heheh!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2003, 07:24 AM
cleartoy

As far as long travel 4wd kits I know of a few.

IF you want to stay with Ford, Camburg makes a long travel kit for the 96 and older TTB trucks.

If you would go with a Toyota, Camburg and Total Chaos make long travel kits for the Tacomas and Tundras. The wider axleshafts are available.

Sites to check out:

www.camburg.com
www.chaosfab.com
www.kartek.com
www.bajaconcepts.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode