Anyone put a locker in their 2wd - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Prerunner Cars & Trucks Discussion about Off-Road Prerunner Cars & Trucks 2 or 4-Wheeldrive

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-07-2000, 09:26 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Anyone put a locker in their 2wd

I have a 2wd 92' Nissan and I was wondering if anyone has put a locker in their pre runner or 2wd truck either PU or Fullsize. Just was thinking about it for a later mod.
Kevin

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-10-2000, 09:46 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Anyone put a locker in their 2wd

Yes:

I put a Detroit Locker in my 2wd '89 Toyota shortbed P/U. I have only had it in about 2 weeks now but oh what a difference. I have already taken through mud that I would have gotten stuck in with the previous open diff. Also On-road Traction is vastly superior. Tire chirp has been all but eliminated and smoother starts have also been a result. HOWEVER Be extremely careful if you put one of these in. Side-skid is very possible if you gun the gas on slick surfaces!!!!!! If you a judicious in your use of the go-juice you will have many happy days of modest four-wheeling.

There are actually a few systems you can obtain. Some are automatci such as my locker or electric such as the Tacoma Pre-runner system.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-17-2000, 09:18 PM
Drew K1500

I had a 91 nissan 2wd that i had extremely modified for prerunning and when i bout it there were no lockers available for the 4cylinder rear axle so i grabbed an axle from a sev6 at the local supermarket when the owner ran in the store. Not really but i did put on an axle from a sev6 and lock right had a locker for it. The traction difference was unbelievable. I was going places that my friends 4x4 dodge struggled. Sure i had to gun it to get anywhere but it is an incredible mod. Be careful on slick roads as i was driving down the freeway on a rainy night and made a turn when the axle locked and decided to send my truck straight off the road. But the locker also put me back on the road.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2000, 08:59 PM
Keyboard Implanted

If you can't find a locker for your axle you can always weld your spider gears together and have a full spool effect. I'm considering doing this with my Postal Jeep's D44...except I was going to keep it a strictly street vehichle while I build the Wrangler...

Restoring a '74 DJ-5C [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] It runs [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] and drives [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] and delivers mail...well, 2 out of 3 aint bad [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2000, 09:26 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I also have a 2wd Nissan p/u V6 longbed standard cab HD model with the H233B non posi rearend. When you do find a company that has them for Nissans let us know. 4wd warehouse was not very cooperative today about this question, even when I picked up my black Rockcrawlers today. Lockers are very available for the Toyota but when you say Nissan people look at you like your a fool. I am going to try an email Tractec (detroit lockers) and ARB and will try to find an email for LockRight. I will let you know my results.

'89 2wd p/u V6 5-speed longbed heavy duty model
If I only had a 4wd
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2000, 11:48 PM
cleartoy

I used to have a 93 nissan 2wd short bed and cab. After breaking the spider gears(among everything else on that thing) I welded the spider gears to the diff. I had awesome traction off road. It sucked on road though.

Currently, i just installed lock rights front and rear on my 85 Toyota. So on the street, in 2wd no doubt, it is annoying as heck. It clicks around corners, it bucks and chirps the tires if you dont know how to throttle it just right and so on and so forth. Awesome traction off road though.

-cleartoy

post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2000, 11:19 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Tractech does offer a locker for 2wd Nissans with the H233 rear end with 31 splines. I emailed Tractec and they told me to contact Reider Racing (www.ReiderRacing.com) or Randy's Ring and Pinion (www.ring-pinion.com) for the parts I will call tomorrow and let you know some part numbers. Happy shopping.

'89 2wd p/u V6 5-speed longbed heavy duty model
If I only had a 4wd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode