Posi for Toyota - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Prerunner Cars & Trucks Discussion about Off-Road Prerunner Cars & Trucks 2 or 4-Wheeldrive

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-03-1999, 09:33 AM
ARSON.INC

Posi for Toyota

I have an 86 Toyota 2wd that I was thinking of putting a detroit locker in. The question I have is instead of a locker could I pull something out of a 4-runner or a 4wd truck that would work in my truck???? Another question I had was if anyone has had any experience with King and Sway-a-Way dual rate coil over shocks? I have heard that the Kings body is not fully threaded, so therefore you can't get the full potential out the dual rate coils.
Any info will be helpful... THANKS...Justin

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-03-1999, 01:06 PM
Pooh-Bah

Re: Posi for Toyota

if you're referring to the Tacoma lockers to put into your pre-Taco Toy, then yes, it's possible, but you'll need to do some drilling and cutting on your current axles to fit the solenoid. Check out the Toyota board for some help. There are a couple of people who have done or are contemplating doing this.

I don't know if Toyota has an LSD available.

As far as the shocks go, both are great! The Kings cost more $$$, and Sway-A-Way, from what I understand, has a problem with fulfilling orders in a timely manner.

Check out http://www.donahoeracing.com. Kreg Donahoe runs SAW's on his trucks and he love's 'em. He can probably help you find what you're looking to do.

Hope that helps.

- J.R. -
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-04-1999, 04:14 PM
Gibby

Toyota trucks never came with a factory posi. The posi in a pre 86 supra will work in a
7.5 in rear and the 87 and newer turbo has an 8 in posi. I am not sure how much work it
is to swap these in.Double check me on the years.Also have you considered using a
4x4 rear axle to lift the back end and get stronger parts? The 4x4s are sprung over.
Good luck, Gibby

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-10-2000, 09:35 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Justin:

How you doing today? I see you were pondering the same thing I had been pondering for a while. I have an 89 Toy 2wd with the 22r. I did put a Detroit Locker in mine. You won't be dissappointed if you do it. But be careful. My 2wd actually came with the 8-inch rear and not the 7.5. It seems that Toyota put 8-inches on the 4-speed Toys. If you have a 4-speed then you might have the 8-inch. If you have 5-speed with the 22re then you will have the 7.5. It cost me about $430.00 for the locker and installation was close to $500.00 because of all the bearings and races involved. It's a big job but can be done if you have the time and the tools. I wouldn't waste my time tyring to pull something out of the rear off a 4WD. Go the way of a locker as operation is completly mechanical and not based upon any elctrical components that can fail at inopportune times.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-28-2000, 05:11 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I believe the 7.5" has the drain plug on the passenger side like the new Tacoma axle. The 8" has it on the driver's side.

Lars
http://www.larsdennert.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode