now about them roll bars,,,8 point cage - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Prerunner Cars & Trucks Discussion about Off-Road Prerunner Cars & Trucks 2 or 4-Wheeldrive

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-13-2003, 02:45 AM
1BroncoGuy

now about them roll bars,,,8 point cage

hey all, i am lookin at buildin the bars myself,
i have a good wire feed, and most of the tools for the job,
delima,,,
a conventional design,bars come from floor at the dash, behind front seats,and behind rear seat to roof, in a hoop style, problem,, i would have to get every bar bent just perfecly to make it as tight as possible, plus it would have to be farmed out for the bends

halo style cage
2 bars get bent at a shop,i trim them to fit the perimeter of the cab zap them together, then i can cut and fit the pilers from the floor to the top bar myself,plus i have a "pipe bender" that can just bend the vertical tube a little bit without distorsion,(to fit the contours of the cab)
the problen with that is banging my head on the top bar "halo" at the sides of the cab, how did you all address that issue

as an 8 point cage ,2 bars at the front(dash)
2 behind front seats
2 behind rear seat
2 coming from rear of bed to part way up bars behind rear seat,
now after getting through all that and if you still care to drop your .02, which way is stronger? conventional design, or halo style? are there any other ways of building a strong hi-speed cage?

thanx for any replies
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2003, 02:08 AM
BlueCoyote

Re: now about them roll bars,,,8 point cage

Conventional - hands down. The fewer joints the better. The cage is the one thing you should not take short cuts on. Tube benders are not that spendy - rockbuggysupply.com has some deals on ProTool benders now. Sure, the initial cost seems high, but once you have one all you friends will be over to have stuff bent.
Since that Bronco is heavy, consider 2" x .120 or .134 wall tube - NO pipe. Triangles are your friend - they are stronger that squares. Consider a diagonal bar between the center hoops. Use LOTS of gussets. PM me and I will give you some pics and links.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-17-2003, 06:10 AM
1BroncoGuy

Re: now about them roll bars,,,8 point cage

hell ya!

you've got mail!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode