More Seating In A Ranger & Suspension Questions - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Prerunner Cars & Trucks Discussion about Off-Road Prerunner Cars & Trucks 2 or 4-Wheeldrive

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2002, 11:48 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

More Seating In A Ranger & Suspension Questions

I really like the whole I-beam set up on some of the earlier Fords. I really like Rangers with the I beam setup, but I just think it sucks that you can only have like 1 other passenger with an xtra cab that has a full roll cage. So I have 2 questions about how to get more passengers in a truck.

1. Whenever I see a full roll cage in the cab of a pickup truck the rear seats usually have to get taken out. That kinda sucks for me cuz I like to be able to have a good amount of friends with me. So is there any way to run the back part of the cage on the outside of the back of the cab? (hope that makes sense). I'm saying instead of having the tubing of the cage inside of the rear wall of the cab, have the tubing on the outside of the rear of the cab so there would still be room for the seats in back.

2. How well does a SUV work as a prerunner? Since prerunners haul [censored] thru the desert it seems like they might be too top heavy. And I never see any of them anyways. Seems to all be small pickups like Tacomas and Rangers. So maybe an SUV like a Cherokee, Tahoe, or an Explorer (don't they have the I-beam set up also?) Most likely the Cherokee or Explorer for me cuz I just don't like A-arms.

Also, how well do solid front axles work on a pre runner compared to an I-beam setup? Is one way better than the other or not? Seems like they would both work pretty well. I just have no expierence with this so I gotta ask someone.

On the subject on the SFA again. Would it be possible to get as much travel if you ran a front an rear 3 and/or 4 link with SFAs front and rear instead of I-beams up front and a 3 or 4 link in back?

I have always liked the idea of havein 4 wheel drive compared to 2 wheel drive, but from what I understand you cannot get nearly as much front suspension travel if you have a 4 by setup with A-arms up front (is there even a 4 by setup with I-beams?). And I'm guessing that's why most pre runners are 2 by's. But if the front and rear solid axle idea with the 3 and/or 4 links worked, wouldn't it be possible to not sacrifice suspension travel if you ran 4x4 with a SFA?

How well would a Solid axle stand up to hitting whoops fast and hard impacts from jumps. Which axles would you guys reccomend front and rear? Maybe a Dana 60 up front and a Corp 14 bolt in back. I've read from a lot of people that that's a solid set up.

I know this is a lot of questions but I would really appreciate it if anybody could help me out. These are all the big questions on my mind that are gonna determin what kind of truck I'm gonna eventually get, so I hope you all understand.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2002, 05:57 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: More Seating In A Ranger & Suspension Questions

<font color=green>--I like to be able to have a good amount of friends with me. So is there any way to run the back part of the cage on the outside of the back of the cab?--</font color=green>

By doing this you are taking the structure integrity out of the cab of the truck.. You roll, the cab gets crushed, Night night.. Plus having a bunch of friends in your truck is heavy, noisy, and disturbing when prerunning.. The only thing I want to hear when prerunning is the engine and occasional help from the co driver on which way to go or watch out for that!!

<font color=green>--2. How well does a SUV work as a prerunner? --</font color=green>

I have seen many full size SUV's pre-runnered.. 4 runners, Blazers, Broncos, both solid and a arm.. Anything can be done.. Some work better than others, Rangers and Tacos are easy, well balanced and many kits are avail because they are the mainstay of SCORE class 7.. Exploders you will not see off road unless its a fully custom suspension.. Just look under one and you may see why.. the Cherokee works well for a solid axle.. Look here <a target="_blank" href=http://www.jeepspeed.com/>http://www.jeepspeed.com/</a>. if you want to pre run donít knock A-arm suspension.. Its one of the best to run.. Expensive yes but can give huge amounts of travel with NO camber change.. Try that with I beam..[img]images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

<font color=green>--how well do solid front axles work on a pre runner compared to an I-beam setup--</font color=green>

Work just fine. Old technology but for a 4wd the are near bulletproof but can have more trouble in the tougher sections of a course in handling.. There is also 4wd I beam rangers that do nicely but are limited in the amount of travel they have.. The edge goes to the I beam because of independent travel of each wheel..
<font color=green>--Would it be possible to get as much travel if you ran a front an rear 3 and/or 4 link with SFAs front and rear instead of I-beams up front and a 3 or 4 link in back?--</font color=green>

I have seen only a few 3/4 link fronts and they are usually on the fabricators vehicle. havenít seen them at the track at all.. For the rear this is a standard for getting big travel out of the rear but this puts you into the upper classes and is on the expensive side.. One shock = about $800 for this setup so if money is not an option then by all means get the best..

4wd never really made it big because its heavy (10 lbs. = 1HP) and its just more moving parts to go wrong.. Most of the conditions donít need 4wd.. There are some exceptions to this like one of the best teams out there running this: <a target="_blank" href=http://race-dezert.com/index1.html>http://race-dezert.com/index1.html</a> and goto the bottom to check out Herbst "The Eclipse".. Thing is incredible copula million dollar car thatís got more bugs in than Texas.. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2002, 11:02 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for all the information. Sounds like you really know what you're talking about. Helped me a lot!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2002, 01:08 PM
Old Hand

Uh... dido.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode