S-truck on sand dunes - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Prerunner Cars & Trucks Discussion about Off-Road Prerunner Cars & Trucks 2 or 4-Wheeldrive

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-21-2002, 06:18 PM
scottie

S-truck on sand dunes

How well will a 2WD 4 cyl small truck do in the sand, i am thinking that it will do okay, but it certainly won't be a jeep. It seems that it would be light enough not to sink, but really how are 2wd rangers and s-10s and such on the sand i have heard mixed reviews, some saying good and bad things.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-21-2002, 08:25 PM
cleartoy

Re: S-truck on sand dunes

S 10s are notorious for breaking lower ball joints. Ive seen it happen many a time in the desert.

Be carefull, and try to carry some spare s with you. The last two i saw these last 2 weekends left on a tow truck cuz ain t no Pep Boys out in the dezert, hence no where to buy ball joints.

Other than that, wide tires with low PSI and lockers are your friends with a 4cyl 2wd in the sand.

Do yourself a favor and get that stuff, plus open up the exhaust for better high rpm power. Header, bigger piping, straight through muff...........such as Magnaflow for instance, will put you a notch above the rest.

Then later you can get the California Super Trucks Uni Ball kit(upper only) with wider arms for more travel.

Good luck brother.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-24-2002, 07:34 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Lowers, ya as well as uppers. Ive seen both at the same time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-27-2002, 12:03 AM
scottie

i am not that worried about breaking a balljoint because i don't drive that fast and i really would not really know how to change onw in a timely manor, i am more worried about the front end sinking and digging myself into a hole.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-27-2002, 08:28 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Plan on getting stuck and having a 4x4 pull you out. Even if you aired down you will get stuck. It mostly happens when you loose your momentum or stop. My buddy has a 4x4 Ranger and always tries to see how far he can go in 2wd. He goes pretty far in sometimes but always ends up needing 4wd. Also keep in mind we go to Pismo or Glamis, so that sand is really soft and likes to go deep.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2002, 01:54 PM
scottie

yup, i went had fun, but couldn't go through a whole lot, which i didn't figure that i could go through a whole lot anyway, i spent most my time riding around in a jeep. once i find someone with a scanner i will post a picture of my truck.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2002, 05:58 PM
cleartoy

Yup, uppers and lowers. I meant that the kit has a Uniball on the upper arm only and ball joint lower.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2002, 10:10 PM
scottie

here are some pics of my truck
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 850943-pictures.jpg (48.2 KB, 77 views)
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-12-2002, 03:28 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Looks like fun. Where did you go?
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-15-2002, 06:02 PM
scottie

Silver Lake, it near mears michigan, one great place to go. look in one direction you have a great view of sand dunes and Lake Michigan, look the other way and sand dunes and silver lake, look in any direction and you have sweet [censored] trucks and such oof-road
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode