Whatever shall I do with my IFS? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Prerunner Cars & Trucks Discussion about Off-Road Prerunner Cars & Trucks 2 or 4-Wheeldrive

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-01-2002, 10:13 PM
JSent

Whatever shall I do with my IFS?

First off, I've got a Nissan 720 pickup. Not exactly the best IFS in the world for much of anything. I was considering putting in a toyota front end (since the torsion bars are on the upper arm allowing the bilsteins to reach 11" of travel instead of slamming down onto the bar on the right side) or possibly rigging a solid axle front end which i've been told handles better in most 4x4 situations.

So I come here curious about the advantages of IFS over Solid Axle and what would be the best solutions for the money (since it's only my toy truck and I still have to eat).

JSent's Truck Stats:
1984 Nissan 720 Kingcab
2.4L Carbureted SOHC
5.14 Final Gear w/ 9" Ford Rear Axle
?" Dual Bilstein Setup w/ Resevoirs.
Full Roll Cage w/ Seats & 5 Point Harness Attachments
15" Rims w/ 31's

Bought the truck off some guy who used to take it out and follow the baja races for 2,500. It supposedly has about 11" of travel Front and Rear but on the jack I only saw about 8 - 10. As for the 5.14 gearing, I dunno for sure but I get like 5MPG and the gears tend to go 10,20,30,40,50 @3500RPM, so I don't think its stock gears. Currently rebuilding, cleaning and ironing out bugs in the customization design.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-11-2002, 11:05 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Whatever shall I do with my IFS?

People have been asking that question for years, IFS vs Solid axle? Here is my theroys, weather they are right who cares, they are just ideas.

IFS = Quicker response due to arms for fast driving off-road. Very responsive for on road as well as softer ride. Will not rock crawl, but rock bounce. Hard to lift but eazy wheel travel(not quite as eazy as I-beams). very little articulation.

Solid Axle = Excelent for all purpose driving, except on-road. Does not respond well at high speed off-road, but excelent rock crawler. Good wheel travel when set up right, excelent articulation.

For the price, you are probubly better off going with a solid axle swap. If you want IFS toyota set up, your better off buying a toyota. Ive seen a few solid axles on nissians, and sick they are, setting up a nissian with toyota suspension is like running ford i-beams on a chevy, its just freakin weird. good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode