Fabtech and ball joints - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Prerunner Cars & Trucks Discussion about Off-Road Prerunner Cars & Trucks 2 or 4-Wheeldrive

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-11-2002, 12:12 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Fabtech and ball joints

I was wondering if any of you guys know of or experienced problems with Fabtech lifts eating up ball joints prematurely. My truck is barely 1 1/2 years old and just went through a pair of ball joints. While I was at Fabtech getting it fixed two other vehicles came in for the same problem (suburban and a dodge). Do any of you guys know a fix for this problem or do I have to add $300 to my annual truck budget?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-11-2002, 07:02 PM
Old Hand

Re: Fabtech and ball joints

if you have torsion bars, then they are probably cranked too far. That will definately wear them out pre-maturely. But fabtech isnt known for it's off-road abilities. Just lookin "cool" and lifting trucks. If you off-road it, then that could be another factor. Also, how old is the truck? maybe it was time for them to go?
AARON

Drive it like you stole it!
Yeah, I got sand.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-12-2002, 07:54 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Maybe I forgot to mention it is a 2wd, so I believe there is no torsion bars? The truck is a 2000 F-150. The lift was put on at 700 miles on the truck, now there's 20k. I can't say I always take it off-road but when I get the chance I don't hold back. I remember when the lift was first put on the chamber was REALLY positive. They told me to "break" in the springs and shocks then they would re-align it (about 500 miles). So maybe they are at a bad angle now? On the Ford board they mentioned rim offset, I need to check that also. Thanks for the reply.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-14-2002, 07:29 PM
Old Hand

Oh, it's a ford, that's probably why...Just kidding. You're right, the 98+ f-150's have coil springs on the 2wd's. The 20k miles and a little off-road w/ bad ball-joint angles can definately cause them to wear out prematurely. I would take it to a different place and see what they say about the alignment. did you happen to go to 4 Wheel parts? or 4 wheel direct? Those guys can't allign a straight piece of wood! I'd get a second opinion. Also, if you read some of fabtech's "fine print" it will most likely have a disclaimer talking about alignment issues. Good luck though.
AARON

Drive it like you stole it!
Yeah, I got sand.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-24-2002, 03:44 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Well I have 14,000 miles since the last lower ball joint change and its ready for new ones again. The steering is popping when I return the wheel back to the straight position. This was the same symptoms of the last ball joints. Is there a "Good" aftermarket ball joint for the F-150? I've heard Moog(sp?) makes some but not familair with their ball joints.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-24-2002, 08:27 AM
Mud in my Veins

Moog makes very good stuff. Not to mention as long as you save the receipts they have a life time warranty.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-24-2002, 07:37 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Broken many ball joints on an s-10, with fag-tech arms as well as camburg. see wedsite for further details...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode