Engine knocking - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Polaris UTV Forum Rangers and RZRs, the full-spectrum of utility and hard-core fun.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-15-2007, 01:27 PM
ATV'r

Question Engine knocking

I purchased RZR Friday-rode it, love it but unfortunately when I go home after 8.2 hrs of riding I started it to unload and I have a loud engine knock sound. Oil if fine but the the sound is loud...suggestions
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-19-2007, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATV'r View Post
I purchased RZR Friday-rode it, love it but unfortunately when I go home after 8.2 hrs of riding I started it to unload and I have a loud engine knock sound. Oil if fine but the the sound is loud...suggestions
Wow that does not sound good. I assume you were doing engine breakin? How much time on the motor?

So the knock is at idle?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-21-2007, 09:23 PM
ATV'r

8.2 hrs on the new RZR-I took it to the dealer for service, dealer thought it might be a breakdown in oil-no change. The RZR does not do it all the time; cold start, after the ride. It sounds like it's not getting oil, but when you accelerate it stops. I took it back to the dealer, after the noise started again, they can't figure it out but doubt that it's bad. I don't agree-but I'm on my way to Yellowstone for 5 days of riding so I will put it to the test and report back. There is a slight vibration after the noise as well. The dealer is also calling Polaris Monday to research the problem further.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2007, 06:12 PM
rzrwrecker

mine ticks a lot but its allways the same over 100 hr
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-15-2008, 12:57 PM
prowrench

Lightbulb

Unfortunately there have been many complaints reported like you describe with the Liberty engine. A manufacturing problem with the main journal and / or lower rod bearing on one or both connecting rods is often the cause.
I highly recommend you buy the extended warranty if you still can and did not when the machine was new. If you did buy it then pat yourself on the back, your going to need it. Your best chance of getting it fixed under warranty is to complain as often as possible to the dealer and tell them it's not "normal" for a new machine to do this. And call Polaris customer service daily so there is a well established record that you reported the problem early so that when it goes you can say "I told you so".

Good luck
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2008, 08:34 AM
Molson891

Rzr problems?

My husband purchased a Rzr about a month ago. So far no issues but it's scarey to hear about this engine problem and also the water problem!!!!!! We did purchase the ext warranty but was in hopes of not needing it for engine problems!!!!!!!!!!!!! Very scarey after spending that kind of money on a "toy"!!! We don't live where we can ride our machines daily but we do love to put the miles on them!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode