Mojave Mods - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Performance ATV Mods Discussion of ATV Performance Modifications.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2008, 09:35 AM Thread Starter

Mojave Mods

I just pickup an 89 Kawasaki Mojave it was already set up with a DG exhaust and K&N filter. I was wondering If there was another option for an airbox other than stock or K&N. I am not a big fan of K & N filters and it needs to be replaced. Is there a carb I could replace the stock one with to get better performance (AKA kx 125 or an other 4stroke 250 carb). Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2008, 12:05 PM

ahh yes someone else who knows K&N air filters are not that great

what i would do is buy a UNI or twinair air filter and also drill some holes in the air box lid or remove the air lid (some moddles you cant remove because it holds the filter in place, but im not shure about mojaves) but if u can remove it all the way i would.

i would leave the stock carb on there (other carbs from diff machines will just lead to problems)

just jet it up for the pipe and filter/airbox and you can lower the needle clip by one slot. but check how lean it is running first after re-jetting it by checking how lite colored the spark plug is (dark/black=running rich, white or lite colored=lean)
there are some after market carbs out there desighned for the mojave (edlebrock) but it wont be worth it at all and will cost about 300-400 dollars

you should do other mods like, performance cam, high compression piston, and port&polish and even big bore/stroker crank way before you buy another carb.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2008, 05:06 PM Thread Starter

RE: Mojave Mods

Thanks Mr_RPM.
Unfortunalty this Mojave's airbox is long gone. The stock airbox is also a 2 stage unit seeming very restrictive. The carb that came with it was not stock or even fit under the frame rail "Complete Hack job". I found a stock carb and am looking to replace the K & N with something more Trail friendly. I would NEVER recommend a K & N filter to anybody who does normal trail riding. You end up with more dirt in the carb and engine than it blocks. For all you true believers of K & N they are very good for racing applications. Sorry I have had BAD experiences with K & N. This is my 1st Mojave, I am not looking to spend $1000 on mods not on this Quad. Just a play toy. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2008, 11:50 AM

well its not that i have found they let alot of dirt threw (but yes more than foam, you were oiling your K&N right?)

but i have found that they just dont breath like a foam filter

the few K&N i have used were more restrictive and did not filter as well

so why even think of useing one

but good luck with the quad
and if u were you id put that stock carb u found on
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-16-2008, 10:33 PM

ive used k&n filters for many years in the woods/dusty conditions with no problems what so ever. they obvious are not scared to post up there performances tests on their site, you dont see uni doing that.

K&N Product Testing

If you dont ride in any areas where your going through creeks you can actually buy a clamp on air filter were you completely ditch the airbox. Also, when you are trying to "tune" your carb. dont start with the needle clip position like RPM said. Dial in your main jet first and then work your way down the jetting circuit (Main, needle clip, pilot, then theres a fine adjustment screw somewhere on the carb.

As for mods, i would take a compression test first and see if your engine needs a rebuilt and maybe through in a cam while your doing that.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-17-2008, 09:14 AM

do you work for K&N or something
most of the tests i have seen from K&N (i have not seen any atv tests but im shure they are there)are comparing from paper air filters, whichn yes suck compared to K&N

the clamp on filters that are put in place of the air lid i think are just a waste of money because a stock or UNI or any aftermarket foam filter will filter the air perfectly if oiled and maintaned right. the clamp on will just if anything (it dosent) restrict it more than just an open box

the only thing i would buy it for personally would be if i had a K&N filter on the machine and the extra filtration would be nice

or to keep mud clumpos out of the box itself but if u are in those conditions
just use the stock air lid.
this is all just personal experience and no im not a research lab test with fancy machines and computers
just letting the public know what i have found best

but i do know many people who dislike K&N
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-17-2008, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_RPM View Post
do you work for K&N or something
most of the tests i have seen from K&N (i have not seen any atv tests but im shure they are there)are comparing from paper air filters, whichn yes suck compared to K&N
No, I just stated that I have never seen a filtration/performance test on any of the foam filters. if you would have clicked my link and read it you would know that its not a comparison against a paper air filter. it is actual data that their "testing equipment" gathers, not just some kid that says this filter is better than that one.

Quote:
the clamp on filters that are put in place of the air lid i think are just a waste of money because a stock or UNI or any aftermarket foam filter will filter the air perfectly if oiled and maintaned right. the clamp on will just if anything (it dosent) restrict it more than just an open box
Reread my post i said a clamp on filter that clamps directly onto the carburetor hence eliminating the air box

Quote:
this is all just personal experience and no im not a research lab test with fancy machines and computers
just letting the public know what i have found best
k&n collects actual data, which i cannot find any filtration information on uni's website.

Last edited by alpinestar64; 12-17-2008 at 03:48 PM.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-17-2008, 03:59 PM

yeah i have seen the tests from K&N
showing the volume of air flow and all that
yes their testing is very well done

but is it true?
could be and most likely is

but at the dealer i work at
and stand as a tech
i have found machines run richer with the K&N (yeah some of the K&N was used but clean. K&N claims life time warrenty so that shouldent matter)
i had a guy put a K&N filter on his yamaha warrior and then it would sputter and beg for air. with the filter off it ran fine (this was a new K&N with about 5 mins of sputtering warrior sucking air threw it)with his stock filter it still sputterd. but then we cleaned it with solvent (we knew it was rich by the plug)and with the clean freashly oiled stock foam it ran fine.
but he was looking for something better than stock (reason he bought K&N)
so we sent him out with a new UNI and he was happy and it ran fine.

thats the worse case of a K&N i have had.
we put a K&N on a all stock ltz 400 and it ran richer than stock (both new, it was right after the guy bought it he wanted the K&N installed when he bought it)

but some people buy K&Ns from us and say they love them.
i just havent seen any improved air flow from them and they filter less

but that dosent mean im right. just havent been lucky with em i guess

and another u said K&N aint just a kid saying whats better
i am 38
sooooo lol
but no im not professionaly testing
and im not able to say whats better
just whats better in my opinion
but who care really
what ever works for what machine really

Last edited by Mr_RPM; 12-17-2008 at 04:04 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode