can i even do anything? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Performance ATV Mods Discussion of ATV Performance Modifications.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-17-2004, 08:15 PM
ChasD

can i even do anything?

hi i have a 1991 yamaha moto 4 and i was wondering what i can do to it to make it better in anyway or can i do anything to it ? [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/lame.jpg[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-18-2004, 08:59 PM

Re: can i even do anything?

I don't know what all is available as far as mods for the Moto4's, but you may be able to find at least an aftermarket slip on silencer, a Uni or K&N air filter, and jets for the carb to rejet it once you get more air flowing. If you can find an aftermarket camshaft to go with the silencer and better flowing air filter, you should really notice a power improvement. I don't know a whole lot about the Moto4, does Yamaha still use the same basic engine in a current quad, like the Raptor80 or something? If so you may have a lot more options to choose from. Depending on the type of riding you do, you might want to think about changing tire sizes if it's shaft drive, since that's the only way to adjust final drive gearing, shorter tires would give better acceleration and better handling on tight corners at speed, taller tires would give you more top speed, and a more comfortable ride at slow casual trail speeds, with increased ground clearance. IF it's chain drive, you could swap the front sprocket to help power or speed. If you want more power for climbing hills, and quicker acceleration, get a front sprocket that's 1 tooth smaller than you have now, if you want more top speed, get one with 1 more tooth on it.
Even if you want to stick with the stock tire sizes, a firmer tire would give you better handling, if the tires you have on it now are the bouncy 22x11x8 balloon tires that have the soft sidewalls that roll over in the corners easily (fairly common on older quads and 3 wheelers) a set of 22x11x8 Kenda Vipers would really help the handling, without breaking the bank, and also give great traction in any terrain, while lasting very long. I have a set on my 200x that are now over 10 years old that are still in reasonably great shape, no weather checking, usable tread left, and only 1 flat in the 10 years I have had them (even with being parked outside in the yard year round with extreme winters, and ridden very hard in rocks mud sand snow and lava cinder roads). I have 2 friends that just had me order 2 sets for them for their 3 wheelers after they borrowed my old set for this winter, and had them out due their 1 1'2 year old tires lol. the 22x11x8's were only $43 each without wheels thru Recreation Tires Hope this helps, Good Luck [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode