Raptor vs the yfz - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Performance ATV Mods Discussion of ATV Performance Modifications.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-08-2004, 10:36 PM
raptorsurthebest

Raptor vs the yfz

Which is the best for trail riding, which one is a better all around quad? Can the raptor beat a kfx400 ina drag race? [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2004, 09:42 PM

Re: Raptor vs the yfz

I have a friend that has a Raptor, but I've never ridden either of those quads. All I can offer you is a opinion from watching them on the track and trails and in the dunes, but here is what I think.
For trail riding the YFZ suspension might not be quite as comfortable as the Raptor, but on a MX track, the YFZ should handle a lot better. Powerwise they're fairly close, but the YFZ is much lighter so should be quicker, while the Raptor should have a slight advantage in top speed. The Raptor or the YFZ should both be able to beat a Z400 in a drag race, especially once you put an aftermarket exhaust on the Raptor so it can breath, but the Z400 would handle better than the Raptor.
If you want to race MX, go for the YFZ or Honda 450R, if you want to trail ride, the Raptor or Z400 are great. For sand dragging in the dunes with major mods I would go with the DS650 or Raptor if you want to stick with a 4 stroke, Banshee or 250R if a 2 stroke is ok. If you want to hit the dunes and race with little or no mods one of the 450's would be a good choice. Z400's and 400ex's can be built to run pretty quick in the dunes, but they need a lot more work and money, than the new 450's or the big DS or Raptor would to get the same performance in a drag race.
I think the Raptor would be a better all around quad, because the YFZ was designed to be an uncompromised racer.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2004, 03:06 PM
raptorsurthebest

Thanks for the reply Jonh
Kyle

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-03-2004, 12:34 PM
honDa

how much work will the 400ex need to keep up w/ the 450's
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-04-2004, 03:02 PM

A lot! Project Big Red was my quad, and now I own a yfz450. With everything that was on Project Big Red, I still think the YFZ is faster, and just a better bike all-a-around.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-28-2004, 10:51 PM
pitbull

as far as yfz & raptor they are real close power wise but raptors are very troublesome whereas yfz is more bulletproof
and as the 400EX my son has one he raced in GNCC and did very well with last year. his bike has HMF full exhuast,White bros. cam 426 high comp piston and bore oversize valves and ported exhaust on the head.My other son just bought a new yfz 450 straight out of the box it would just barely beat the EX But with HMF full system and rejetted carb there is no contest if you want your EX to keep up LOTSA LUCK however the EX will still hold it's own on the track. HONDA means reliability

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode