how can i make my raptor faster - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Performance ATV Mods Discussion of ATV Performance Modifications.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-22-2004, 08:29 PM
speed

how can i make my raptor faster

Iwant my raptor to be the fastest thing around but i dont know what else i can do to it. Here are some of the modifications i have.I have a 686 big bore kit,jets,7 degree enhanced timing,air box vents,full fmf power core IV pipe, ad i have extensions on my swig arm and a-arms. i have it in the shop now i am gettin it re-jetted and a k&n air filter. So i need some more go fast parts. Can ya help me out?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-24-2004, 01:59 AM
Addict

Re: how can i make my raptor faster

You will never have the fastest quad unless you get radical! ever see a 900 cc 2 stroke snowmobile engine on a quad? ummmm yeah it was a beast. I'm sure there are faster quads than that around, saw a banshee run at the dragstrip with a jet engine once too. want the fastest quad? sell the raptor and build your own. want the fastest production quad? get a zilla. want a very healthy sport quad with electric start and reverse? then the raptor will work. In my experience speed goes hand in hand with money.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-24-2004, 11:27 AM

I've often wondered what it would be like to ride a Quadzilla with a AC thundercat 1000cc triple 2 stroke snowmobile engine stuffed in it, but with PSI's 301hp 1425cc Genisis kit on it. I think if you could find a way to control it, it would be untouchable in a straight line. I've also thought about just boring my 600cc triple to a 700 (would be about 150hp) and stuffing that into a Zilla frame, at least the engine is built by Suzuki, so it would almost look like a factory ride if done cleanly. lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-24-2004, 02:14 PM
Addict

That would be BAAAD. My zilla scares me once in a while and it's almost stock. I used to have a tigershark jetski with a suzuki 770 cc twin factory rated at 110 hp .....always fantasized about that puppy in a quad ..... way too much work though. A sled motor with belt drive now .....much more practical.
Over thanks giving I took the zilla to ohio to go riding with my buddy and his raptor.. nice machines no doubt about it. I'd trade him even up in a heartbeat. But there is no comparison in a drag race. Everyone talks and there will probably be several posts to follow this up about how a predator or a kfx7 or a dfx or whatever will smoke a zilla but there is a small group of us that know better. Sure take a banshee give it a bigbore portwork more compression reeds pipes etc and you'll be faster than a zilla ......till you do the same to the zuk that is.
Don't get me wrong though as soon as I get around to painting the frame and putting on some new plastic I'm selling the zilla and will probably pick up a raptor. I'd prefer a zuk 400 but I'm 6'4" 235 lbs and I fit much better on the yamaha.
I wish there was an easy way to add reverse to a gsxr motor. then I'd just do a swap on the zilla.
Yeah I'm getting old and lazy. plus I'm tired of the sore foot from that beast kicking back when starting. Then there is the bs of stopping for a break when it's 100 out and then everyone else hits there little button and us poor two strokers have to sit there kicking in a cloud of dust whaaa
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-25-2004, 10:06 AM

I almost bought a Zilla the day I bought my 250R. The Zilla was owned by the local Suzuki shop, and was bored and ported with a FMF pipe, Lonestar +4 swingarm, Haulers and the razorback fronts, along with a set of trail tires for $3,500. I went with cash in hand to pick it up, but they had loaned the quad out to one of the shop owners friends the weekend before, and he blew up the bottom end, so it was torn down getting rebuilt. They said it would have been ready in 2 weeks or so, but then one of the mechanics started talking to me about buying his R which was out front for sale (he was asking $4,500), so I told him I would much rather have the R for the better handling since I mostly trail ride, but that I couldn't spend more than what I had with me that day, and that's the only reason I was looking at the Zilla, so he sold it for $3,500 since I had cash lol. I've raced quite a few quads in the dunes since then, and for what I paid for the R I can't complain. I've beat a few stock Zilla's, then lost to one running on alcohol, and I've beat quite a few piped Banshee's, but lose to them bigtime once they're ported or stroked lol. That 770 twin you had in the Tigershark sounds like it was prety nice, the stock 60 triple in my sled puts out right around 120hp right now, and Black Magic (Arctic Cat's factory builders) can build it to aboput 160hp without the bigbore kit, but the 150hp bigbore would be a lot more reliable for everyday riding. [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]

Speed, have you had the head ported, or put aftermarket cam's in it yet? If not there's more power to be found there, other than that I think you either would have to go to one of the bigger bigbore kits, or add a NOS kit to it for more power than you already have.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-31-2004, 12:05 AM
raptor_rider

you want to make your Raptor faster, first thing you do is get rid of the FMF pipe, replace it with a GYT-R, taake out your piston and get it ceramic coated, port and polish the head, (make that baby flow) then ceramic coat it to, ceramic coat the header pipe, what kind of cam do you have?
the cam playes a BIG part in MORE POWER, what kind of fuel do you run?
GOOD LUCK [img]images/graemlins/RockOn.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-31-2004, 11:24 AM
speed

Im wantin to get rid of the fmf pipe and get somtin else.
Im gettin a new cam and rocker arms now. How much is it to get all that ceramic coated Cause im only 14 and i dont have lots of money. and my parents dont want to put lots of money into it now cause its still real cold where i live
and i cant ride now. I dont run run any high octane fuel just regular gas. i just want to be able to out run everybody around where i live. I live in Wyoming county,West virginia. But write back ant tell me how much that stuff is. THX
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-31-2004, 11:33 AM

If I'm not mistaken, most of the bigbore kits need at least 92 octane super unleaded to run right. If regular unleaded isn't high enough octane, you could be losing power to pre-ignition(pinging sound). That is also hard on pistons, rings, and valves since it builds excess heat inside the combustion chamber.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-31-2004, 11:38 PM
speed

Ok Ill try that when i get it back but i havent realy rode it but 1 time them i took it to the shop so i dont know how well it should be running. So how well should it run when i get it. since the first time i rode it it was broke the shop we bought it off of ripped us off to bad. but thx I'll try the high octane gas and tell ya how it runs
post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-01-2004, 02:26 AM
raptor_rider

On my YFZ I ceramic coated the piston (top, bottom, and sides) wrist pin, head, exhaust port, valves, header pipes (two dif. ones) it cost me $250.00 for everything, the reason you ceramic coat is, less friction, (slicker) disapates heat ( cooler combustion chamber allowing more gas and air in) (bigger bang) thats the more power your looking for, also you NEED to run the highest octain fuel you can find, with the big bore kit, I can feel the dif. between 100 octain cool blue racing fuel and my 110 octain racing fuel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode