where do i start? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Performance ATV Mods Discussion of ATV Performance Modifications.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2004, 01:39 PM
ridina400ex

where do i start?

I have a 2002 400ex that in have been upgrading. i have the handling and conrol to where i want it, but now i want to start on the power and acceleration. Where do i begin. I don't want to change my sprockets, as i have just put new ones on and left them the same size. Everything is bone stock in the motor department.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2004, 11:39 AM

Re: where do i start?

I would start with a full exhaust, K&N air filter, remove the airbox lid, or at least add vents to the stock lid, and rejet the carb for the increased airflow. That should give you a noticable improvement over stock, and then if you really want to make it run, add a aftermarket high performance camshaft that's designed to work with those mods and the type of riding you do.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2004, 12:08 PM
ridina400ex

I've heard to change the stock pilot (38) to a 42 and i have a new filter ordered for it. I've looked at an exhaust system for it, and so far the cheapest one is going to run me at least a 1000 bucks canadian. When it comes to exhaust what is the direction i should go as far as brand name and all that stuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2004, 08:06 AM

I've heard great things from 400ex owners about both the Pro Circuit T4 and the Yoshimura exhaust systems. Either one should work well for you.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2004, 05:44 PM

1000 canadian for an exasut?! i didnt know your money sucked that much! [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2004, 10:43 PM
ridina400ex

I've heard good things about a Curtis Sparks Racing exhaust system. Supposedly runs up there with White Brothers. I dunno i hate to cheap out, but the cost of it all is so damn much....White Brothers or Yoshimura (i can recall which one) will run my about $1600 (plus tax of 13%) no way in hell can i afford that... if i could i would be trading off my ride and buying a brand new one. I'm going to try changing my pilot jet to a 42 from a 38. And have a Twin Air Filter coming for it. Going to cut holes in the air box, and have already removed the baffle from my exhaust pipe....I'm running outta ideas, and i don't know if i really want to bore it out to 416 or 440. I'd like to work on the outside first, then later maybe tackle the inside. Would a partial exhaust system be an option, or does still using parts of the stock one defeat the purpose of a performance exhaust? Ne two bits (reasonable 2 bits) that u guys mite have would be appriciated.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2004, 04:42 PM

Before you spend that kind of money for parts up there, you should contact Rocky Mountain ATV. They sell the ful Alien exhaust system for the 400ex for $476.99 American, so that should be under $750 Canadian,they also sell White Bros, Supertrap, FMF and Pro Circuit. Even with shipping you should be able to save a few hundred on whatever you buy. They should be able to sell to customers from Canada (I believe that was what NAFTA was all about), I know they sell and ship all the way to Alaska according to their catalog.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode