raptor motor problems - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Performance ATV Mods Discussion of ATV Performance Modifications.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-16-2003, 08:44 PM
ipkyss

raptor motor problems

I was out riding today. I would not say i was beating on it, but i was ridding pretty hard. Trails/ sand pit. I started to hear a small ticking noise from it. For some reason i did not think much of it. Well neadless to say it started to get worse and i headed home. On the way home it started to turn into a light rap. I shut it down to look for something wrong. nothing. went to start it and it would not turn over. It sounded like the starter was not engaged. I could hear the starter motor turning, but not the engine. I towed it home. I pulled the little cover off of the end of the starter. Then took off the gears that went from the starter gear, to the gear on the crank. didn't see anything to be wrong. I took the side cover off the motor. Behind the balancer( i believe that is what it is), there is a gear that connects through another gear to the starter. It spins freely on the crank in both directions. in one direction, it makes a tapping noise, but still spins free. I am guessing that is the noise i was hearing. I am not sure what to do now. I was going to pull the balancer and see what i found, but i wanted to ask a few questions first. by the way, this is and 02 raptor with maybe 50-75 hours on it. Sorry for this being so long, i just wanted to explain all that i did.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-17-2003, 05:16 PM
ipkyss

Re: raptor motor problems

well, got it all apart today. went to the dealer to look at a diagram so i knew what i was dealing with. The 6 bolts that hold the one way gear to the fly wheel sheared off. It looks to me that they loosened up and then sheared off. Sense the machine does not have very many hours on it, i would guess they were never torqued down right. The worse part was, i had to fish round in the bottom of the motor to find the heads of the six bolts with a magnet. I just hope it will be all good from here on out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode