Raptor Twist Throttle - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Performance ATV Mods Discussion of ATV Performance Modifications.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2003, 10:15 AM
FlyinRaptr

Raptor Twist Throttle

Thinking about switching from a thumb throttle to the Motion Pro Twist Throttle - I've heard that they are dangerous because of the short throw from off to full throttle? Is this true - is it to adjust them to add free play?

Greg

'02 Raptor, Yosh pipe, GYTR Jet Kit, KN Filter Kit, Alba Pro Comp A-Arms, Works Triple Rate Steeler Shocks, Pep Steering Dampener, Renthal Bars
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2003, 03:05 PM

Re: Raptor Twist Throttle

yes I ams ure you can make free play, but if you are not used to twist throttle it probaby isnt the best idea

I know on bikes twist throttles can be dangerous, you hit a bump, nudge the throttle, bam! your doin a wheelie, out of control holding the throttle and SLAM!! into a tree [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

you have to get used to it, thats what I am saying
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2003, 03:32 PM
FlyinRaptr

Well if slamming into a tree is all I have to worry about then I guess I'm good to go. HE HE I slammed into a tree last month going up a steep rutted hill - I hit between the frame and the right front tire. I completely sheared off both the upper/lower a-arms and the shock - the only thing holding the tire on was the brake line. Fortunately, my raptor is all back together only better than before - added a Yosh pipe, jetting and KN kit while it was in the shop.

My main concern is from what I've been told - that the twist throttle for the Raptor is unsafe because it only has 1/8th of a turn from off to full throttle whereas other throttles normally have 1/4 to 1/2? Does that sound right?

When I'm not slamming into trees on trails - I normally ride in the So. Calif. desert - where it is not uncommon to hit a set of whoops at high speed - I just think it would be safer to a full grip on the right vs having your thumb on the throttle.

I used to ride a YZ125, RM125 and a XR200 a while back - so I'm sure I could get used to it again.

Thanks for your input,

Greg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2003, 02:18 AM
raptor_rider

riding a quad with a twist is WAY diff. than riding a bike, I DONT like tham at all, if your flat tracking or just trail riding then (I think ) there OK, but if you get them off the ground you have a problem controling them upon landing (I've found for me) you may bee used to a twist and love it, I STRONGLY suggest you find someone who has one on there quad and try it before you spend the cash and dont like it (like me)
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2003, 08:31 AM
FlyinRaptr

That's interesting - do you think its because of the differences in suspension that makes it different between a bike and quad?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2003, 08:27 PM
raptor_rider

I think its mostly because with a bike you only have forward and backward movement, and with a quad you have side to side also
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2003, 11:43 PM
FlyinRaptr

Yeah - trying one out on another quad first is probably the right thing to do. The problem is I haven't come across too many with them installed. Well - I guess if I buy one and end up not liking it - I'm only out about $50 and of course there's always Ebay.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-21-2003, 12:33 AM

I've found, if you decide to get the twist, that the best way to keep control of it on bumps is to do weights.Go out and get a set of two pound weights or so and just curl your wrist up and down with it. Will give you easier control, and help you keep it in the place you want it on unexpected woops.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-17-2003, 09:33 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I actually just installed one for a customer today. They actually have a 1/4 twist (which is the way I have found most racers like it anyway). I can see how it could be a bit much for an inexperianced rider, but in the end it all comes down to knowing and being comfortable on your quad.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-29-2003, 09:16 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have a new yfz450 and after a two hour rugged trail ride hauling a__ i am thinking about putting a motion pro twist throttle on.
I have been riding a yz490 dirtbike for the past ten years and thought that since i am getting older i might try something with four wheels,my bad,the quad beat me up more than the bike by far, but i look at this at a challange not a mistake. i have looked into the twist throttle and found three differant styles,vortex,cr pro and cr comp,do you or anybody know the differance between the three?
What would be the best?
thanks John [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode