kfx 400 speed problems - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Performance ATV Mods Discussion of ATV Performance Modifications.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-06-2003, 03:53 PM
redneckstv85

kfx 400 speed problems

Today me and a couple of my friends went riden and he wanted to race so we started off and i was pullen away from him a little then they were runin abou the same till we were just about top speed and his 400ex pulled away slightly and he has nothing done to it stock.............I thought this kfx/z were supoosed to kill 400 exs, could any one tell me why? [img]images/graemlins/RockOn.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-07-2003, 12:52 PM

Re: kfx 400 speed problems

It could be any one of several things, is he lighter than you (rider weight makes a big difference in a close race), are both quads still using stock gearing (he may have added a tooth on the front, or dropped a tooth or two on the back sprocket without telling you), did he put on taller rear tires? Is your KFX running right and jetted for your elevation, or are you just using the stock factory jetting (factories usually jet for sea level) at say 5,000' elevation? Are you sure his is totally stock, or could he have added a aftermarket air filter and removed the airbox lid without you knowing? Does he still have the baffle in his stock 400ex pipe or is it real loud? Let us know. [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-07-2003, 02:56 PM
redneckstv85

His bike is completly stock but my new bike is only not even a week old i just put 15 hours on it before the day we raced could it be cause it is still so new? [img]images/graemlins/RockOn.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-07-2003, 03:41 PM

What about the other questions I asked? are you a lot bigger than him? What elevation do you live and ride at, and was your quad jetted for that elevation, or is the jetting still the same as it was from the factory? Some of it could be that your engine still isn't completely broken in and not making max power yet, and from what I've seen in the dunes, the difference between the Z/KFX400 and the 400ex isn't really as much as all the magazines claim it is.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-07-2003, 03:44 PM
redneckstv85

Im about 20 pounds heavier than him and the jetting is just the same as when i picked it up and im not sure about the elevation.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-07-2003, 08:06 PM

your stock jetting could be off, but I am sure its either the weight, or someone modded something, or he is a better racer... [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-07-2003, 08:19 PM
redneckstv85

I have to take it in for its "10 hour service" i will have to have them check the jetting and ask them whats up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode