quick question about 2-stroke quads - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Performance ATV Mods Discussion of ATV Performance Modifications.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2003, 02:03 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

quick question about 2-stroke quads

I've got a Blaster and noticed that after starting it up and letting it idle for a little bit there is absolutely no power for about the first minute or so. It slowly starts getting it's familiar power and snap and after about 2 minutes it's finally at the place where the front end will come up in first gear with little difficulty. Just kinda wondering is this typical of a 2-stroke engine... a bit of a warm up period before it gets ready to go? What's actually going on during the period of time where there is an obvious lack of power? This only really happens after the bike has sat for a day or two and then gets started up, it's not like this happens everytime you stop it and start it during a day of quading. Any info about this little mystery would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2003, 05:00 PM

Re: quick question about 2-stroke quads

yeah they need to be warmed up good befpre you run them..on my banshee..which has pro x pistons which make it worse..i let it idle untill the head and pipes are warm...takes a few minutes...then i cruise around taking in easy and not revving it too high...then its ready to rip
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2003, 05:01 PM

All quads, not just 2 strokes have to warm up before they run their best. The piston and rings grow slightly as they heat up, making for a better fit inside the cylinder, which raises compression. The reason it doesn't lag after you shut it off to take a break while riding, is everything takes much longer to cool off again than it does to warm up for the first time in the morning, so it's still warm and ready to go.Also since the piston and rings are always a little bit sloppy in the cylinder when the engine hasn't warmed up yet, don't try running it hard until you know it's up to normal operating temperature, otherwise you're increasing wear on the engine. Just keep it mellow for about 5 minutes of riding before reving it out hard when you start out for the day, and the piston and rings should last much longer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2003, 09:11 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Cool thanks for the info... that's sorta what I figured but it's nice to know the technical reasons behind it. It just kinda sucks waiting for a week to go quading then once you're on the bike it takes at least another 5 min before you can open it up and have it go like it should.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2003, 02:20 PM

Yeah I know what you mean, that's why a lot of people will start their quads , then go put on their riding gear and helmets while it's warming up. If I'm going to load my quad in my truck then drive out to a riding area, I warm it up good before I load it up, a few laps around my 14 acre property(5.67 Hectare's for you Canadians lol)usually does it lol, so once I get there it doesn't take as long to be ready to go. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode