any body got a hot cam/new problems need help400ex - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Performance ATV Mods Discussion of ATV Performance Modifications.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-06-2003, 07:34 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

any body got a hot cam/new problems need help400ex

I just got my cam in and don't know if the stock decompression is used on the stage2. Need some help figuring it out. [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] 400ex
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-09-2003, 07:34 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: any body got a hot cam??

the decompression is not used on either the stage one or 2.

the overlap is enough to allow intial pumping losses during start up.

you will be fine.

did you go to a high comp piston. you should be at atleast 10.5:1 with a stage 2.

i have had mine in for over 70 hours with no probs
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-14-2003, 09:28 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

thanks for the info about the cam got that worked out. now i got a new problem. i put my bike back together broke it in proper, so i went to the beach to see how it ran out in the open, and i found a boy out there with a bone stock raptor figured i run him just to see how it was performing guess what got smoked! ive got a wiseco piston sould be a 10:1, 6 degree timing advance,full port work, valve springs, stage 2 hot cam, modified air box, hinson clutchs,and a 165 main jet.dont have enough money for the curtis sparks x-6 yet. but will the pipe make that much difference,and what about jetting,gearing,boring the carborator. i need some help to figure out why the power isnt there. O' ya i know a boy with a je 11:1 piston said he'll give it to me just needs rings he went to a big bore but all bull**** asidewill that help my mods? thanks,kenshin, da dirty south/s&s400ex [img]images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-14-2003, 09:47 PM
bodgecr250

its a 400ex man...............
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-14-2003, 09:54 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

what tha f*#$ does that mean explain your self man. what do u ride [img]images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-15-2003, 01:52 AM
raptor_rider

hes just trying to diss the EX, DONT LET HIM BOTHER YA [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
the fastest EX Ive seen has a 450F motor in it , but if you caant aford one of those (not many can) go for the 440 kit, makes them run real strong
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-18-2003, 08:23 PM

trust me brain loves doing that [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

nah, I have seen some nasty 400ex's, just have to put something into it, must get it bored to get anywhere, then go to the carb and all that, and of course a pipe, what were you thinking? your not going to beat a raptor with a high comp piston [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

once you get the money it shouldn't be hard
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-19-2003, 10:30 AM

If you want to beat a stock Raptor with the 400ex , just race one on an MX track lol , those Raptors love to 2 wheel it around the corners stock . But of course it would help if the Raptor rider isn't as good of a rider as you too , maybe you can find somebody new to riding on a Raptor practicing at an MX track and smoke him ,If that doesn't help you win , try this [img]images/graemlins/chair.gif[/img] before the green flag waves [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-19-2003, 10:10 PM
bodgecr250

i ride a cr250, now a 400ex is a nice quad, id love 2 have one. the reasons are its quiet, and has mad low end. i really dont understand suping up an air cooled 4 stroke motor. its reliable when stock and maybe modded a little(pipe, jetts, carb, airbox mod.) after that the idea of the "reliable and simple" goes away in my mind. if you want a beast of a quad sell the ex (you should be able to get a decent amount for it) and get an R, banshee, raptor or perditor.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 04-19-2003, 11:58 PM

Project Big Red can beat a stock raptor. But it took more than a year of work. The final step to get it as fast or faster than a stock raptor is the 440 kit. Not sure how much it costs, but I love Tudors 440 kit.

Edelbrock quicksilver carb would help too.

My favorite pipe so far is an LRD. The only thing wrong with it is it vibrates against my hydraulic clutch. Other pipes I have had is a Big Gun. Very reliable. Has a couple less hp than the LRD; and a Bills pipe. Very loud. Haven't been able to get it on the dyno yet against the LRD. In my first race with the Bills I lost one of the springs on the headers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode