New guy here just purchased 2001 Banshee - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Performance ATV Mods Discussion of ATV Performance Modifications.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-01-2003, 10:19 AM
01Banshee

New guy here just purchased 2001 Banshee

I just picked it up Last Saturday and have only been buzzing around the yard with it and all I can say is YIKES! This thing is stupid fast. Can't wait till this weekend when I can really ride it. All I know about it right now is that it has the Toomey T-5 pipes with spark arrestors, Boysen(sp) reeds and a aftermarket air cleaner. I can't remember what kind, I'll have to look again. Never had one before so I've got a few questions. What brand oil and at what mix ratio do you recommend? What type of chain and chain lube works best? Is there an aftermarket fuel tank with a larger capacity available and whats a good price for one? It didn't come with a owners manuel so I also need to know what type of oil to put in the gear case. What will this thing beat in a race? Whats approximate top end speed?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-01-2003, 12:11 PM

Re: New guy here just purchased 2001 Banshee

Sounds like a nice quad, not sure about the technical stuff like which oil and mix ratio's work best for the Banshee , since I don't have one , but if you are racing in the sand dunes , it should be able to outrun stock Raptors , most Honda 250r's , 400ex's ,Suzuki 250's and Z 400's and Kawi Tecate 4's in a drag race or hill climb . Not too sure about the Canondale 400 or the Predator , but I'm sure there's some Banshee owners on here that have already raced some of those too . Top speed would all depend on gearing and tire size, but would guess 75 to 80 mph would be possible with the right combination , so fast enough lol
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-01-2003, 07:31 PM

piped banshees are fast..ported banshees are insain [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]....i run 32:1 with yamalube 2R..but im sure there are many other good high performance oils...as for tranny oil 10w30 works. i use PJ1 chain lube for o ring chains..if it needs a new chain i spend the money and get sidewinder chains and sprockets on it..they are invincible and worth the money....i think that answers what you wanted anything else just ask..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-01-2003, 08:14 PM
Mopar

[img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]My local shop recomends Golden Spectro @ 50:1 for all 2 strokes. It comes in a 8oz bottle, they said 1 bottle (8oz)to 5gal gas. I also add 4oz Trick Octane Booster. So the way I mix; with empty fuel jug 1) add full bottle of Golden Spectro 2) pour 4oz of Trick to empty Spectro bottle to rinse and add to jug 3) fill jug with gas (I use regular). This equals about 103 octane? I run a 85 LT250R for 2 stroke. [img]images/graemlins/burnout.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/AR15firing.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/bs.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-01-2003, 08:37 PM

A friend of mine just bought a new '03 Banshee, and his paperwork recommended 24/1 mixture, the dealer told him 32/1 was ok . I was curious on what to run on my '88 Honda 250r, so I called Ct Racing since they did the porting and port work on my cylinder, and they recommended 32/1 unless running high quality synthetic 2 stroke oil, then said 40/1 would be ok if running 100+ octane .
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-02-2003, 08:13 AM
01Banshee

The guy I bought it from said it may need a new chain soon. He recommended not to get an o-ring chain. What do you guys recommend? From just looking at the sprockets they look pretty good. I guess I should just wait and get chain and sprocket together. Does the chain and sprockets wear hand and hand or is it more likely I'll need to replace the chain before sprockets? Has anyone ever run KLOTZ oil. I don't know much about this brand of oil. I'm probably going to have alot of questions, and hope you guys can help me out without getting sick of my posts. Thanks for the responses I received and for the future.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-02-2003, 12:12 PM

the queastion on O-ring chains is a really big debating point with some people, I prefer O-ring chains, because they seem to last longer than non ringed ones, and fair better with less maintenance. people that prefer non O-ring chains, claim less friction, so more power to the ground, but with no O-rings, you really have to stay on top of the chain maintenence especially if you ride in the sand a lot
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-02-2003, 10:54 PM

Oil- Klotz super techniplate 19ounces to a 5 gallon can.
Gear lube- Bel-ray gear saver or Maxima MTL Fluid.
Chain- non o-ring for the sand. Used wd-40 to lube it.
with pipes It will beat mildly ported 250r's, raptors, 400ex..... [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-02-2003, 10:55 PM

top-end speed with stock gearin is 67mph. It's not about speed its about who gets there first.(Acceleration) and torque!
post #10 of (permalink) Old 04-03-2003, 08:27 PM
raptor_rider

I got my engine to last longer with Maxima at 32:1 and Yamaha Trans-oil plus in the crank case, Non O-ring chains will give 2 more horse, but like someone else said you have to make sure they stay clean.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode