How many ham radio operators do we have on the forum? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
The NOT-Off-Road Lounge Talk any topic NOT related to Off-Road vehicles. ESTABLISHED COMMUNITY MEMBERS ONLY - NO SPAMMERS.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-31-2007, 10:06 PM Thread Starter
Journeyman

How many ham radio operators do we have on the forum?

How many ham radio operators do we have on the BBS? It's helpful to share solutions, and I'd like to see other's four wheeled ham shacks.

Please pass the word. It's hard to know who's in the "invisible fraternity" unless the subject comes up.

73, mark

FT-847 with ATAS-100 & 77 CJ-7 ground plane.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-02-2007, 06:16 AM
Old Hand

I've had my Ham license since the late 70's, never really used it but a couple times. Kept it up to date though. I'm 43 year old novice. LOL My call is ka3ayr

Proud member of the Delaware Jeep Association
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-02-2007, 05:02 PM
Ed ke6bnl

Iam a Ham for many year general liciense ke6bnl, my wife and two girls are also hams was very active but have since changed hobbies to street rods and old cars. sold off most of my stuff. Ed ke6bnl
post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2007, 12:38 AM Thread Starter
Journeyman

It's good to meet you both. I've been fairly inactive the past year and a half myself, as my daily commute has changed from 2+ hours a a day in Wash DC traffic, to 2 miles a day (round trip) in southern Illinois. I don't miss the traffic, but I do miss the hobby time. My real passion for the hobby isn't talking anyway. It's building things. From computers and electronics to fabbing stuff for the Jeep. In my mind, off-road driving in the wilderness seems a natural companion to radio communications. Again, it's good to meet you both. I hope we get manny more replies to this thread, from hams and non-hams alike.

73, Mark

post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-06-2007, 11:54 AM
shimniok

howdy

Hi, got my license several years ago primarily for off-road use but only had occasion to use a few times, as CBs are more popular. Wished more 4x4 folks used ham. Went out once with an entire group that were hams... was really great. Anyway, I have an old Icom 2m/70cm dual band and somewhat newer Alinco 6m.

73's
Michael
K0FSJ
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-26-2007, 08:08 PM
andy 123

post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-26-2007, 08:56 PM Thread Starter
Journeyman

Andy,
I got the smileys, but no text.
Are you a ham as well?

Michael,
Good to hear from you! I really thought this thread would get more action than this. The ham radio hobby works well with just about any other hobby as well. You just can't tell by looking, who's a ham and who's not. ("The invisible fraternity") I had many ham friends in Colorado Springs. With all the mountain top repeaters I was always connected while four wheeling, even on weekends I went out by myself.

73, Mark

post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-02-2007, 10:45 PM
shimniok

Usually there's a fairly good slice of the 4x4 community that runs amateur radio. Good point re keeping in touch while alone. I guess that was the main thing. Figured if I got in a bind I could always hit a repeater. That was before cell technology expanded. For awhile I had Verizon and could usually get a signal in the most ridiculous places. I try to take my Vertex 150 with me anytime I am out in the 'wilderness' just in case. Love that little radio. I'm hoping to get into hunting this fall so it'll be handy to have along for that too. Anyway I am kind of rambling ...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode