Help selling truck w/leined title - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
The NOT-Off-Road Lounge Talk any topic NOT related to Off-Road vehicles. ESTABLISHED COMMUNITY MEMBERS ONLY - NO SPAMMERS.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2006, 12:47 PM Thread Starter

Help selling truck w/leined title

Hey guys, my husband and I are trying to figure out the best way to sell our Tahoe without having the title in hand. At current we still owe on it. The initial "selling a vehicle" FAQs and whatnot from USAA (title holder) states that once the total lein amount is paid they will send the title to the new owner, IIRC. (Or they send it to us and we'll send it to the buyer).

Our big question though, without having the title, aside from a private bill of sale, how can we assure the prospective buyer it is a legitimate transaction?

We have enough in savings that we can payoff the Tahoe and have USAA send us the title. However, we do not want to leave ourselves in such a depleted financial state unless we know for sure we have that money going immediately back in (as in the buyer has sent us a bank/cashiers check and we are on the way to the bank to deposit it).

It may not seem too crazy to sell this Tahoe, however, we are currently in the process of moving to Japan, go Navy. We only have a couple weeks to get this truck sold and paperwork taken care of before we are no longer available. After that, our only option is to give a POA (power of attorney) to someone here at home to sell our truck for us.

Anyhow, I need any input you folks may have selling this truck. We're thinking Ebay, however, there is work involved. We've listed in the papers in the area, but no sniffs [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] Our biggest 'hassel' is no title in hand. So, there's still some paperwork after the sale that must be tended to.

Help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2006, 05:19 PM

Re: Help selling truck w/leined title

If you live in a major metropolis, chances are that www.craigslist.com is available to sell your tahoe. Craigslist is a free community forum where you can buy and sell stuff for free as well as do lots of other stuff as well. Even if you don't live in a major city that has craigslist, find the one closest to you and I guarantee you can list it and someone interested will buy it.

I just looked on yahoo where Oak Harbor is, and your pretty close to Seattle, and www.craigslist.com has a site in Seattle, Wa. Give it a whirl , and post your ad, also if you have pics you can post on the ad it'll be looked at more, and remember that it's free to post, you just have to repost every 7 days, to keep the ad up.

I've had enormous success with craigslist, and it's a better bet than the newspapers, etc.

You can ebay it , but sometimes that takes to long.

I would shorten your explanation of why you need to sell it in the Craigslist ad and state that you are very motivated to sell it as your being transfered to Japan for the Navy.

I also would have a certified ( Notary ) bill of sale drawn up as well as any documentation that you can get from USAA , that reflects what your doing and why. I also would get something reflecting your official orders from the Navy showing that in fact you ARE being Transferred, it certainly can't hurt. You may not get exactly what you want for the Tahoe , but it'll sell faster this way.

Gokouun O Inorimasu in Japan !!!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2006, 07:33 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the craigslist idea, I completely forgot about it. It is big here in this area. And good thoughts on the notarize bill of sale. It actually echos the idea we had. My husband can actually get that done at work. He is the legal officer at the squadron and has just turned over to the incoming guy. So, notarizing won't be trouble.

We'll keep working on it.
post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-07-2006, 01:53 PM

Hey Shorts, are you plannng a trip to TX before going over seas? If so list in TX too with free shipping (free ride) to TX. Retired ARMY, I've been in the same situation, before the internet. Good luck. My nephew is in Okinowa with the Marines.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-13-2006, 10:43 PM Thread Starter

Sold on Ebay. Unfortunately, not that great a results. Buthell, at least its off our plates.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode