help a rookie driver please - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
The NOT-Off-Road Lounge Talk any topic NOT related to Off-Road vehicles. ESTABLISHED COMMUNITY MEMBERS ONLY - NO SPAMMERS.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-04-2005, 02:04 AM
babkuzy

help a rookie driver please

hello everyone, maybe you guys can help me,
i bought a 1997 jeep wrangler sports softtop..

it has about 50k miles in it..

its Manual transmission.. and this was my first manual car.. so eventually i learned it and went oout on a roadtrip..

going up the hill.. going about 40 miles an hour on 5th gear and i can tell the car isnt going fast uphill, but i didnt know i was supose to down shift so i keep pressing the gas pedal really hard.. anyway next day.... when i accelerate... it makes really really loud noices that it didnt make before.. and sometimes if i dont hit the gas more, it starts to make that noice that the car is about to turn off but it doesnt...
what did i screw up here?

and please 2nd question is:

the steering on this car is rough, if i stay in parked and ttry to rotate the steerling wheel, its very very hard, and it makes a lot of noice, so i put steering fluid in but it wouldnt help.. what could that be?

thank you guys [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wall.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-04-2005, 10:05 AM

Re: help a rookie driver please

You "MAY" have toasted the clutch and need to replace it.
When running in the wrong gear in a standard vehicle you can cause the clutch to SLIP over heating it and shredding or burning the material it's made of.
As to the power steering check the belt to make shure it's tight, if it is and the fluid is all the way up and it's still making noise it to may need replaced.
Get a NEW clutch and through out bearing but you may find a good power steering assembly in a junk yard and save some money. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wall.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-04-2005, 03:54 PM
babkuzy

thank you for teh response larry, although i dont know what a belt iis, at least i can tell my friend what that is and he'll help me with it

btw, can you tell me the right way to use the gears..
like for example when am i supose to shift from 1st to 2nd and so on.... i have 5 gears..
when am i supose to shift from 4th to 5th gear, at how many mph?
thanks
p.s. whats a new belt worth anyway for my jeep?
post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-04-2005, 10:44 PM

The MPH doesnt determine when you shift, its the RPMs. I would say shift each gear between 2000 and 2500 rpms, and downshift if rpms go below 1700 or so.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-06-2005, 11:59 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

thank you for teh response larry, although i dont know what a belt iis, at least i can tell my friend what that is and he'll help me with it
You should also find your self a Chiltons manual. It will help you a lot with simple repairs. They are very often sold in auto parts stores as well as book stores.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode