Macco Paint - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
The NOT-Off-Road Lounge Talk any topic NOT related to Off-Road vehicles. ESTABLISHED COMMUNITY MEMBERS ONLY - NO SPAMMERS.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-30-2005, 04:38 PM
Ryan90K2500

Macco Paint

What do you guys think of Macco? I could use a fresh coat of paint on my truck. They are having a half price sale going on for $250. Would this be a good idea? The price is right.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-30-2005, 06:34 PM
DUNERAIDER

Re: Macco Paint

I used them once,, and believe it or not, not bad.
The painter suggested running it through a machine carwash for a better finish.
He was right. Damfino, it worked.

They'll try to sell you all kinds of extras. My reply to that was their suggestions were like putting earings on my jackass.

"I'm here for a paintjob, not to goldplate my wheelbarrow"
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-31-2005, 12:41 PM
Can't Get Enough

The only thing is that they're not real thorough. Instead of removing trim pieces, mirrors and such, they tape and paint around them.
For a daily driver, I would do it.
post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-01-2005, 07:22 PM

Solution? Remove trim and all before you take the truck. That way there's nothing to tape around.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-05-2005, 09:50 PM

Heres a picture of my old yota a few months after a Maaco paint job...about three years ago now. I removed all the trim, mirrors, inner wheel wells, bumbers, tail/head lights, etc, etc, then drove it a couple blocks to their shop. They usually have three or more levels of paint, those real cheap jobs are plain old acrylic....I went one up and went with the Eurothane Enamel, then paid a little extra again for the integrated clear cloat (they add the clear to the paint, instead of after). For what I paid, I was more than happy with the paint job. Its the same as anything else....you get what you pay for...if it looks too good to be true, it probably is. For a truck that you wheel, a coat of paint at Maaco is fine, IMHO.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-07-2005, 08:03 AM
DUNERAIDER

Looks excellent, I think I'll do the same to my 400,000 mile Toyota
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-23-2005, 08:16 AM
Journeyman

The paintjobs that come from Macco are only as good as the painter doing them. Here in the St Louis area there are several shops around here and more than 50% have sucky painters. One thing to keep in mind..............you have a better chance of getting a good job if the color is a solid. Single stage paint jobs in solid colors are easier to do than metalics. When painting a solid you only have to work on the gloss, when painting metalics you have to worry about gloss and keeping the metalic from swimming around and modling(splotchy) in the paint. Removing trim and other stuff is a GREAT idea, I have seen jobs that looked like Helen Keller masked it up. Adding clearcoat to the paint is called "cocktailing" and is kinda useless. Clearcoat is used for UV protection and to keep the basecoat from oxidizing from the weather. Also it is virtually impossible to sand and buff a single stage metalic because you are sanding the paint and not the clearcoat, it also messes with the metalic. That $250 paintjob doesn't include rust work or bodywork. Most Macco's in this area use Sherwin Williams paint..........um........doesn't that go on houses....hehehe. It is easy for me to kinda snub my nose at Macco because I have been a paint/bodyman/frameman for about 15 years. If I didn't have painting skills, then I might have tried them in the past, but thank God I can paint.

P.S. The red Toyo looks good, you're one of the lucky ones, the painter knew what he was doing.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-23-2005, 06:39 PM
Can't Get Enough

I always wondered if you couldn't just take your truck down to the community college and have the autobody students paint it. My cousin painted my truck while he took a course. All I had to do was pay for the paint.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-24-2005, 12:40 PM

I agree with Dedduck I have seen very few jobs come out of there that looked decent
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-06-2005, 09:36 PM

Macco is also notoriuos for luring you in with the $250 paint job and then telling you you need $700 worth of body or rust work. Tell em up front all you want is a damn paint job.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode