Z71 front wheelbearing - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
The NOT-Off-Road Lounge Talk any topic NOT related to Off-Road vehicles. ESTABLISHED COMMUNITY MEMBERS ONLY - NO SPAMMERS.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-23-2004, 02:42 PM
drkilldeers

Z71 front wheelbearing

i need to change the front wheelbearing on my 96 gmc Z71. need some advise, is it something that is farely easy ? do i need any special tools? any suprises i need to know about?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-24-2004, 04:47 AM
dptyrob

Re: Z71 front wheelbearing

Invest $15.00 +/- in a shop manual at the auto parts store. Study the wheel bearing inspection replacement procedure thoroughly prior to starting the job and keep the book handy during the job. It's going to be a messy job as you have to pack wheel bearings full of grease (unless Chevy came out with a sealed bearing assembly for the Z71, and I don't think they have). You can pack the new ones prior to beginning the rest of the job. Make sure you buy and install new races with the new bearings, and don't ding them up during installation. Be careful not to over-torque the spindle nuts when putting it back together (they don't have to be much tighter than finger tight, believe it or not). The torque specs are in the shop manual if you have a torque wrench handy. After you finish it, go back after a couple of hundred miles and retorque the spindle nut for good measure because sometimes those things tend to need a while to get seated well.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2004, 08:54 AM

<font face="Comic Sans MS">They are sealed bearings. I dislike it but that's how they do it on these new fangled trucks (from about 1989 up)... Try searching the GM IFS forum for "Hub bearings" and the like, and you should find a plethora of information...</font>
post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2004, 10:13 AM
adamsboomer

this is a very easy task i have done a few. three bolts on the back of the spindle. a nut on the cv shaft and i bit of prying to get it off. easily done in the driveway. any questions just ask in the gm ifs board. good luck.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2004, 08:58 PM
dptyrob

[ QUOTE ]
<font face="Comic Sans MS">They are sealed bearings. I dislike it but that's how they do it on these new fangled trucks (from about 1989 up)... Try searching the GM IFS forum for "Hub bearings" and the like, and you should find a plethora of information...</font>

[/ QUOTE ]

That makes for a super-easy swap then. I have mixed feelings about sealed bearings, but there's no debating the fact that it's much quicker and easier to change them out than it is to mess with packing tapered bearings, driving races in and out, and torquing (and retorquing) spindle nuts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode