Anyone have an active CarFax account? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
The NOT-Off-Road Lounge Talk any topic NOT related to Off-Road vehicles. ESTABLISHED COMMUNITY MEMBERS ONLY - NO SPAMMERS.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2004, 09:40 PM Thread Starter
Mud in my Veins

Anyone have an active CarFax account?

Looking at some wheels for the woman, need to get a history check done. Anyone got an open account?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2004, 05:56 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Anyone have an active CarFax account?

here you go....email this address with a topic of carfax

[email protected]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2004, 09:52 PM Thread Starter
Mud in my Veins

Hey man, I actually got one the other day, but if this vehicle falls through I'll use that email. Thanks though! [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2004, 11:38 AM
Jahomey

I know several people who have used Carfax and got hosed big time. If you trust them, you are a very trusting person.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2004, 12:35 PM Thread Starter
Mud in my Veins

Hosed by who, wtf are you talking about? [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2004, 05:46 PM
Keyboard Implanted

well i have been helped by carfax a number of times
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2004, 02:28 AM
Jahomey

Re: Hosed by who

Actually, they probably hosed themselves for not knowing that Carfax only reports some of what damage may have been sustained by the vehicle (because if no insurance claim was made or the title was not changed to "salvage" status).

My preference is to avoid taking that risk and buying from somebody I know. That narrows down the possibilities, but has also reduced the problems by a proportionately larger number.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2004, 06:46 AM Thread Starter
Mud in my Veins

Well yeah, so how can you say they got hosed by CarFax if CarFax did exactly what it was supposed to do? They don't claim to know everything, just what was reported to insurance.

If I knew someone selling a <nobr>vehicle</nobr> I wanted, yeah, I might be interested, but no one is right now. Not to mention the last time I bought a vehicle from someone I knew I ended up getting hosed on the purchase price. Didn't want to be rude to a friend and ended up paying to much for it. I'd rather buy from a dealership or a private party where you can at least tell them they're nuts and walk away.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2004, 01:52 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I gotta throw in my 2 cents here. CARFAX is a CROCK OF SH!T. I ran a check on the van I bought sometime ago, Carfax of course told me that there were six reports for my vehicle, so I purchased there crappy report and found out that all the "reports" were simply that there was no reported problems. And of course when I did further investigations thru other more reliable means I found that it had been owned by a rental company, and guess what, it had been in accident that was not reported, and the rental company had made cheesy repairs to it and then shipped it off to auction. The only real way to avoid being screwed is to have a VERY good mechanic look over your prospective purchase, and never fall for the high pressure sales tactic of "I got another guy coming to look at it and he was pretty serious about buying it." If it is a worthwhile buy, it's worth taking the time to research it, otherwise be prepared with your own jar of vaseline, because you can rest assured the car lots, or even private sales, are not gonna waste the time to lube you before they screw you.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2004, 06:23 PM Thread Starter
Mud in my Veins

Well that's the thing, all they can report is what was reported to the insurance companies and the state it was registered in at that time. There's no way any big organization such as CarFax could find something like you had unless they sent private investigators out to talk to everyone ever associated with said vehicle.

It does what it says, people just expect to much. Buddy of mine passed on a 98 Ranger because it had 2 insurance reports that we figured out were for body work. Truck visually looked great and he would have bought it until the CarFax report said it had issues. Started looking at it really close and we noticed some paint issues. What was hiding under the paint? He didn't want to know so he passed on it and found a truck with a clean record that ran great and looked great. I figure it's worth it. Most people can't fork out thousands of dollars for major repairs or body work, so if it isn't on CarFax than it probably didn't happen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode