OT-Cost to pave a driveway? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
The NOT-Off-Road Lounge Talk any topic NOT related to Off-Road vehicles. ESTABLISHED COMMUNITY MEMBERS ONLY - NO SPAMMERS.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2004, 08:27 PM Thread Starter

OT-Cost to pave a driveway?

Hey all,
I'm going to need to pave my driveway soon and was wondering if anyone has an idea of an average cost per square foot for asphalt. I have one section of crumbling concrete and one section of gravel and want to tear both out and asphalt it all. I'm in southern NH so I'm sure the price would vary by area but any info is better than no info. I've been calling local paving contractors for an estimate but can't get anyone to call me back right now. I guess it's the busy season and someone will call me back eventually. I don't want to jump at the first bid I get just because they called me back unless I have some idea of what a typical cost is.

Thanks for your input
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2004, 10:06 AM
Addict

Re: OT-Cost to pave a driveway?

No idea what pavement costs, but I thought I would mention an ordinance we have here, just in case you have one as well. In the City of Green Bay, you cannot have an asphalt driveway at a single family residence. It has to be concrete/cement. I have no idea why, but that's the law here.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2004, 10:50 AM
Cain

Over here in good old England, Brick paviors are common easy to lay and replace if damaged/stained as they can be prized out for replacement.If they are sealed with a silicon spray they do not fade or stain.Come in concrete or Clay laid on hardcore and 3" compressed sharp sand, kiln dried fine sand to fill the Joints(bricks butted together KDFS fills the cracks)
Tarmac degenerates,does not get on well with oil petrol diesel.

Found this www.pave-tek.com Its not a recommendation just a start point..
Cain
post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2004, 02:56 PM

It's because everything in GB is back asswards!!!

Sean
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2004, 04:44 PM

We Own a concrete Constr. co. here in Pgh, PA. Concrete driveways, to remove and replace are about $6.00 a sq. Foot. Ex. 30' x10' driveway = 300 sq. ft. x $6.00 = $1800 Aspahalt would be a bit less, closer to $4-$5 a Sq. foot
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-05-2004, 12:06 AM

have you thought about trying an alternative pavement? go to www.polypavement.com It uses a polymer/binder to pave with the native soil. Appears to be much cheaper and longer lasting than asphalt. Unfortunately, I haven't tried it yet so I can't back all this. Good luck with your project.

Andy
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-05-2004, 02:07 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

If you do decideon asphalt, stay local, a company you've heard good things about and has been around for a while. There are many "traveling" companies that wander the US during the summer months ripping people off. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-05-2004, 10:44 AM

I hate asphalt. I've had two homes with asphalt driveways and know some of the shortcomings. As mentioned, they have no resistance to oil or gas. It causes the asphalt to crumble. Axle stands or jack stands leave impressions or even sink right into the asphalt and are not safe to use for extended periods. Motorcycles will leave impressions from the stand or fall over in summer heat. Asphalt over cracked concrete simply equals cracked asphalt. I'd favor concrete. Our next driveway, however, is going to be paving stones. Soil around here always shifts and subsides and results in cracking. At least with the cobblestone is can move about without damage.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-05-2004, 09:32 PM
Old Hand

4" of airport top-coat runs about 1.50 a square foot. Really holds up well.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-06-2004, 11:22 PM Thread Starter

Well thanks for all your opinions. No need to worry about city ordinances here in the "Live Free or Die" state barfnick. Most driveways here in NH are asphalt, and paver's are nice but way out of my budget. Besides, they have paver's in some areas at my work and they have a heck of a time with snow removal in the winter. I do realize concrete would be the way to go if cost wasn't an object, but for me it is so asphalt will have to do. I'll still have my concrete garage floor to work on my Jeep, the pavement is just for parking and to give my 1 1/2 year old a smooth place to ride his tricycle.

Thanks for the costs joeycj5 and lindy80cj7, that's really what I was looking for. Sounds like prices in NY are closer to NH than PA. I got a quote from a local company today that equaled out to about $1.75/sq ft. They'll even remove my old cracked concrete drive and smooth everything out with new hard pack. That's good enough for me and they came with excellent references not to mention I was able to squeeze into their schedule for next week thanks to a cancellation. I fully expected to have to wait months to get onto someone's schedule. And yes, jdoggmoney I have heard of those traveling "gypsy" paving companies so staying local was a priority of mine.

Thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
"craftsman tool", "do it yourself", "home depot", "how to", diy, pavers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode