Cleaning a K&N Air Filter - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
The NOT-Off-Road Lounge Talk any topic NOT related to Off-Road vehicles. ESTABLISHED COMMUNITY MEMBERS ONLY - NO SPAMMERS.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2004, 01:28 PM Thread Starter

Cleaning a K&N Air Filter

Hey guys, sorry if this has been talked about before but I tried searching and couldn't find it.

I was just wondering how all of you clean your K&N air filters. I figure it's been almost 2 years since I put mine in and its more than overdue for a cleaning. I've heard of 3 different ways to clean them and I'm not sure which to use.

1. Blow out with an air hose.
2. Wash with water (diswasher, hose, etc.)
3. Buy K&N cleaning kit.

Is the K&N kit the only way to go, or is it a waste of money. Any help is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2004, 05:32 PM

Re: Cleaning a K&N Air Filter

<font face="comic sans ms">I''d definitely not use the air hose to blow it out. Mild detergent would probably be your best bet to clean it with short of buying their kit. Don't blow it dry either let it just dry on it's own... I've never seen mentioned anywhere what sort of oil they use to re-wet the filter element with though. Then again the kit's only what $10 or something like that isn't it? </font>
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2004, 09:57 PM

Go buy the kit. Do not use the air hose or water hose. The filter element is cotton and will rip or tear if you use those methods. The kit comes with spray oil that is way easier to apply and works a whole lot better.
post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2004, 12:24 AM
Journeyman

The instructions with the kit say,

1. gently brush with a soft bristle brush
2. spray on and/or soak air filter in (k&amp;n)cleaner for ten min.
3. rinse off with low pressure water, make sure to flush from the clean side to dirty side
4. shake off water then let dry naturally
5. then oil using k&amp;n oil

I've done that several times and it works great

post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-06-2004, 11:43 PM
Mud in my Veins

I just bought a kit. Something like $12. Need to clean my filter, had the truck about a year now and still haven't done anything but thump the sand out of it. Hopefully I can do it tomorrow, by the time I'm done I bet I can build a miniature sand castle with all the sand still in it.

Just follow the directions, done it several times on several different K&amp;N's, it's easy.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-12-2005, 08:31 AM
Keyboard Implanted

I ran K&amp;Ns on my sandrails for about 8 years (18 trips a season from Oct to May)). I bought two, swapping them. I would change the filter after every trip to the dunes. I washed it with dish soap and hot water in the sink, didn't use a brush or compressed air. Let it air dry for 4 or 5 days, then sprayed it with the K&amp;N oil spray, put is on paper towel for a day, then put in a big baggy to keep it clean. I also used panthouse over the filter. I would NOT use a K&amp;N filter (or other oil-soaked) on my truck or cars. I've never seen any certified dyno tests that shows any significant increase in performance. There are a number of articles about K&amp;Ns failing to properly filter and even causing premature engine damage. Paper filters are relatively inexpensive and filter just fine. That's just my humble opinion.
Gnarls.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-16-2005, 01:47 AM

I have to admit that is the first bit of negative feedback I have ever heard when it comes to running a K&N on your daily driver. I love mine.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-17-2005, 02:39 PM
Addict

I too have heard that about the K&N filters. I didn't have any problems, but after hearing that - I went back to the paper.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-18-2005, 10:11 AM
Keyboard Implanted

[ QUOTE ]
I have to admit that is the first bit of negative feedback I have ever heard when it comes to running a K&amp;N on your daily driver. I love mine.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do some simple math... if you are going to use K&amp;Ns you will need to buy two filters (or wash, clean, wait for it to dry, then oil to replace it). As an example my 22R stock replacement filters are about $4.00 each. The K&amp;N replacement is about $35.00 each. I buy two, plus a $10.00 can of spray oil.. that's $80.00. For $80.00 I can buy 20 paper filters, if I change filters twice a year, that 10 years worth of filters!! I don't have to waste 10 to 15 minutes to wash the filter, wait 3 or 4 days for it to dry, take 1 minute to spray it, let it soak for a couple of days, then reinstall it on my vehicle.

K&amp;Ns claims to go 50,000 miles without cleaning it. Does any normal person really think that an air filter used in average conditions, such as a daily driver, (oil soaked or paper) can go 50,000 miles without it getting clogged??? I change my air filters every 6 months or about every 10K miles. If I'm off-roading and in dusty conditions, I change the air filter every 5,000 miles or less.

Now regarding K&amp;Ns own formula for the amount of Area needed to filter:
A=CID x Max RPM divided by 20,839. A stock 22R filter is about 72 sq. inches. K&amp;Ns formula says that my engine only needs about 33 sq. inches of filter area, so the stock filter is more than twice the amount I need according to K&amp;Ns formula. So, where is the ecomonics or any other benefit come from using a K&amp;N filter in a daily driver???? Again, I have never seen any certified dyno test data to prove that a K&amp;N filter replacing a stock filter on a stock engine will make more power!! Making power with fuel economy and compliance to federal and state emissions laws is expensive for any auto manufacturer. Wouldn't you think that if they (Toyota engineers, and all other auto makers) could make more HP by simply designing a "bigger" air filter, or soaking it with oil, they would do it!!!!??? That's just my humble opinion.
Gnarls.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode