Amateur radio -- How many people here participate - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
The NOT-Off-Road Lounge Talk any topic NOT related to Off-Road vehicles. ESTABLISHED COMMUNITY MEMBERS ONLY - NO SPAMMERS.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-23-2004, 07:14 PM Thread Starter

Amateur radio -- How many people here participate

<font face="Comic Sans MS">The title pretty much says it all, I'm just wondering who all has at least a technician class amateur radio license.

I'm going on the 2nd of July to take my Technician class license exam. I have aquired a Kenwood TH-F6A handitalkie and some various accessories so far (should arrive on the 25th I hope so I can fire that up and start listening to see which frequencies are most active here, etc and whether I can at least hear the handful of repeaters scattered throughout the area.).

If you do hold a license, what class license is it? I'm already trying to learn morse, so I can pass the code and thereby upgrade to General class (obviously upon also passing the written test, which to me is cake compared to the code portion).</font>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-23-2004, 08:21 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Amateur radio -- How many people here participate

Does having a citezens band and operating it regularly for ten years count [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-09-2004, 06:04 PM
Mud in my Veins

I got the no-code Tech license when I was 14 ('95) and lost interest pretty fast since the internet was way more captivating and cell phones made radios less important. I will do my 10-year renewal next year assuming it's free, but I have no interest in upgrading to Gen/Adv/Extra except just to say I did it. The written tests would be easy enough for me but I don't have the time to learn Morse at the moment... maybe I'll fool with that after I'm out of school and I miss tests [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Hope you did well on the test... 73 de KC5OCP [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-12-2004, 11:09 PM
Addict

I have had my general for years now. Before computers I was always on the ham bands. I have my worked all 50 and cards from over 50 counties and some ships. I even tried to tune in the space shuttle a couple years ago. Now i am thinking of selling my kenwood rigs as the puter is much easier to do things with...
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-13-2004, 01:54 AM Thread Starter

<font face="Comic Sans MS">Interesting, I'd have figured a bigger population of off roaders would be ham op's, at least technicians for the benefit of better communications stuff than cb...

KD8ABJ be me...</font>
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-13-2004, 03:56 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Ya, but a CB with the right mods is a right powerful communications device, if ya know what I mean [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-13-2004, 04:41 PM Thread Starter

<font face="Comic Sans MS">Only downside to running some assistance on your CB is what happens in the (usually unlikely) event you get caught using it...

With this HT and an aftermarket antenna and it's 5W I can easily hit a few repeaters 30 miles away, significantly more if I had a better antenna setup than this. These repeaters include a couple of linked systems, one of which covers the majority of MI... You'd have to run a truly ridiculous amount of power to cover all that on a CB...

The downside to amateur radio is testing is required to use it and as a result less people utilize it, plus with your license information such as your residence, and so forth is available to anyone who cares to look it up...

Despite being a licensed operator now I still keep CB equipment in the truck as well, sometimes it seems like it'd be more useful from a traffic information standpoint than the VHF/UHF stuff appears to be... </font>
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-15-2004, 05:23 PM
Keyboard Implanted

As another of the old sayings go, "It's only illegal if you get caught" [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
But on your points I must agree, yes cb's are useful to be for keeping updated on traffic conditions and "big brother" alerts [img]images/graemlins/censor.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2004, 11:36 AM
Jahomey

Re: Amateur radio -- How many people here partici

Have had a license (Extra Class) for many years, and once in a while I use the CB. Ham radio offers better range, clearer signals, better audio, and generally better conversation. Paying a few bucks a year for a license may be keeping some people away, but that is OK. [img]images/graemlins/RockOn.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2004, 10:40 AM
Old Hand

Re: Amateur radio -- How many people here partici

any of you folks M.A.R.S. opperators? i'm a radioman in the US coast Guard and am always looking for one for phone calls in the holidays.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode