The Official Thread Hijacking Contest (read this) - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
The NOT-Off-Road Lounge Talk any topic NOT related to Off-Road vehicles. ESTABLISHED COMMUNITY MEMBERS ONLY - NO SPAMMERS.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2004, 12:33 AM Thread Starter

The Official Thread Hijacking Contest (read this)

<font face="Comic Sans MS">Ok ladies and gentlemen (and everybody else who doesn't conveniently fit into one or the other category), here is the idea. Your goal is to hijack this particular thread as many times as possible without actually having it look like you intended to hijack it (although since you're obviously posting in the official thread hijacking competition thread the intent will be assumed anyhow)...

That is your mission...

Now on to the other topic. In Monica's recent thread on here I asked a question which turned it into a hijacked thread. That wasn't polite. I apologize. This is the thread to see how efficient you all (or in the South, this would be all y'all) are at such a thing and the impoliteness of it will not be penalized (or will it? haha J/K)...

In the aforementioned thread I asked a question about a turbocharger off a 10L or larger <nobr>diesel engine</nobr>. The purpose for it is likely to be a propane fired gas turbine engine which will have the all important task of propelling a person at a reasonable rate of speed on a go kart... Obviously it will be somewhat loud (somewhat being an understatement) and since the cost will be too high the rest of it is just a hypothetical situation... I would assume the most important pair of features would be a reliable oiling system for the bearings and a reliable method of regulating the speed of the engine (I don't want to be sitting anywhere near this thing if it decides to come apart)... The turbine will release a tremendous amount of energy if it does happen to run away/over rev or what have you...

It's always good to have a hypothetical discussion every now and then... So here's a combination hypothetical question and thread hijack competition... You have read it, now it's time to participate with thoughts and opinions...</font>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2004, 08:10 AM
Carpal \'Tunnel

Re: The Official Thread Hijacking Contest (read this)

Only ricers put stickers on their cars and toolboxes. Removing stickers aren't supposed to be a venerable form of weight shaving. A true ricer will head for the decal bin immediately upon entry to any auto parts store.

A gasoline turbine engine is a pretty complex critter. Often the blades are made of a single crystal in order to help prevent fractures. Most turbochargers have internals made of cast material. It's just about guaranteed to fail.

I've seen turbos that failed... sometimes they're so kind that they only ruin your engine... other times they spit blades through the case and take out tires or sheetmetal. It kind of remains me of the time I saw a clutch go through the cowl of a Mopar when the clutch took a dump. The guy was just lucky it didn't tear his feet off.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2004, 08:17 AM

Forget the turbocharger just get the diesel motor and put that in the kart. More importantly, you ought to use biodiesel to fuel the kart. Just in case you were wondering biodiesel environmently friendly diesel that is made from used vegtable oil. Not that I am a tree hugger but the fuel can be acquired for free from restaurants. Has anyone else ever heard of the biodiesel concept before or better yet used it??

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2004, 07:41 PM
Keyboard Implanted

A biodiesel turbo gocart would be pretty cool. I myself have been looking into makeing a turbine from a turbo...I could run diesel but it would be like a jet engine. I got the idea from a Mountain Dew commercial where I saw a bunch of crazy stunts going on and though it would be cool to do either a turbo powered gocart or minibike. Mountain Dew rocks!! Anybody have DewU points that the do not want? Just email or PM them to me...I'm trying to get some DewU gear.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2004, 02:40 PM

Chad, have you got enough points for your x-box yet? When you finally get it be sure to get online and play Halo, it's a blast. Anyone else here playing halo or any other games online?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2004, 10:03 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Go carts are cool when you put Suzuki GSXR1100 engines in them, some guys had posted a link on here about it before.

I play online games, DFLW, BattleField 1942, Raven Shield, and a few others, but I recently found out that the ones I like best pretty much require you to use PunkBuster to get on any of the good servers and personnaly I will not allow ANY program to run on my PC that can scan and take screen shots of everything on it and then sends it out to God knows where, that is SPYWARE [img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img] and I don't like it. So now I only play DFLW online.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2004, 02:48 AM
xtremeoffroadmag

My kids are building a go kart right now, it's pretty cool, tube chasis and all. I am starting a new magazine, check out www.xtremeoffroadmag.com

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode