small engine experts? chainsaw won't start - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
The NOT-Off-Road Lounge Talk any topic NOT related to Off-Road vehicles. ESTABLISHED COMMUNITY MEMBERS ONLY - NO SPAMMERS.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-02-2004, 08:19 PM Thread Starter
Mud in my Veins

small engine experts? chainsaw won\'t start

I've been playing with this thing for 3 hours, which must mean there is something simple that I'm missing. It's your average Stihl 290 18" bar saw, which is 2.5 years old and has never given me any sort of problem, until now. I'll choke it, pull the cord once, and it'll sputter like it wants to run... like it's supposed to do. Then I move up to the high-idle setting and pull the cord and it fires and revs up nicely for a couple seconds, then dies. After that, the only way to get it going again is to choke it and start this process over.

I've tried two batches of pre-mix (50:1) and even a little straight unleaded just to see if it'd run, but it only ran maybe one second longer than usual and did the same thing. I've set the carb screws per the Stihl manual, except the idle speed which is a trial and error sorta thing, but that wouldn't explain why it would rev up and just die like it's out of gas. I cleaned the air filter and spark plug, neither of which seemed all that bad.

I haven't pulled out the fuel inlet hose in the gas tank, that might be worth a look at this point. Any other ideas? [img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-02-2004, 10:21 PM

Re: small engine experts? chainsaw won\'t start

What kind of shape is the carb in? Id look into a rebuild...one little leak in there and these things just dont run right at all.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2004, 06:49 AM
NIX
Keyboard Implanted

Sounds like a plugged jet or airfilter. Take it apart and clean it. Or maybe the carb has a diafram for bowl/pump thats gone. Just check.
post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2004, 10:05 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Fuel Filter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode