Dish Network - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
The NOT-Off-Road Lounge Talk any topic NOT related to Off-Road vehicles. ESTABLISHED COMMUNITY MEMBERS ONLY - NO SPAMMERS.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2003, 07:28 PM Thread Starter
Carpal \'Tunnel

Dish Network

Dish network has a deal on systems, they give you a single dish and 3 receivers. Do they match the 3 receivers to the dish? Do the 3 receivers communicate to each other?

Or are they three indepedent systems with three separate cards?

I'd like to split them up and run each one off its own antenna. I'm sure they've done something to prevent this but I figured I'd ask. I'm kind of inept about digital satellite. Analog satellite is on its way out so it's time to do something before no more service.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2003, 10:49 PM

Re: Dish Network

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Do they match the 3 receivers to the dish?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope.

Do the 3 receivers communicate to each other?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope

Or are they three indepedent systems with three separate cards?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup.

I'd like to split them up and run each one off its own antenna.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not quite sure what you mean on this one. I'm sure that you mean dish and not antenna. But why would you want to have two dishes. Just use the same dish and since all the boxes are independent you shouldn't have a problem. Basically, with 3 different boxes you don't have to watch the same thing on all the TV's.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2003, 11:17 PM Thread Starter
Carpal \'Tunnel

My goal is to take the 3 different receivers and put them at two different locations not hooked to the same antenna/waveguide/dish.

It seems most dishes only provide enough power to transmit about 200-250' which isn't nearly enough. And I suspect an amplifier that operates in the 1300-2500MHz range isn't cheap. I could build one but since dishes are so cheap (can usually get them at a garage sale for $10) why not just have a dish hooked to each receiver? And I only ran one RG6 cable between the buildings and its being used for closed circuit tv.
post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2003, 01:47 PM

why not just have a dish hooked to each receiver?

[/ QUOTE ]

You could do that. The only thing about that is making sure that all of the dishes are "lined" up all the time. I have friends that only have one and they continually have problems in high wind, snow, rain, etc. with picture being lost. I would only assume that with 3 dishes you would have 3 times the problems. Just a thought though.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2003, 02:34 PM Thread Starter
Carpal \'Tunnel

Yeah, most of those miniature dishes make for poor waveguides. A little bit of movement knocks them WAY out of reception. A lot of it depends on where you mount it. People tend to mount them in crappy spots or on something that moves. We've got a 12' analog dish so we know all about wind. haha.

I can't believe Dish Network is stupid enough to give people 3 receivers with 3 independent cards. I mean, that's just asking for people to split up the receivers between houses. I'm more interested in having it in the garage and in the house though. They're 175' (the receivers would be 250') apart and there is no where to put a dish between the buildings.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2003, 04:39 PM

Dunno much about Dish network, as over here we have DirectTV, but im sure its basically the same concept.

Each reciever has to have a seperate line run to the dish. None of them communicate to each other.

When ours was set up, we had to call Direct TV, and they dialed into the house, scanned the cards over the phone lines (yes, they need a phone connection, too), and activated them so we were able to recieve channels. Basically, it validates the card. You cant use it before then, and once its done, i dont think you can use it in another house. Im not even sure if you can swap the cards between recievers.

Once upon a time, you used to be able to buy recievers, and if you paid cash, theyre were no records taken down, so no one could prove you bought it. That was when youd take your card to a 'professional' and he'd do something to it, imprint a specific code on it or something, and it would unlock whatever channels you wanted. Kinda like a black box for satellite.

edit:
forgot the dish!
Wer have the small dish on our house. For our application, its on the SW corner of our house. We rarely lose signal. Only when its pouring like hell, or when theres an electrical storm. Normal rain storms, wind storms, and snow has no effect on it.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2003, 05:49 PM
Nodak

My dad has about 8 recievers running off of one DirecTV dish. He just ran a line to where ever his cable TV hub was. He disconnected the cable portion and hooked up the DirecTV cable. Now in any cable outlet in the house, you get DirecTV. You still need a reciever for each TV, but it is a nice setup.

His house is pretty big and where the cable hub is at is the opposite end of the house from where the living areas are. You should be able to put up one dish and just run a line to your TV. I am not that bright on this subject though, so maybe I am wrong.

The only times I lose a signal with mine is in electrical storms and when snow is stuck to the dish. Just wipe offthe snow and you are good to go. Keep in my that I live in North Dakota(wind, snow, storms) and my dish is mounted to my apartment's patio guard rail. The signal hardly ever goes out.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-15-2003, 07:52 PM

Once upon a time, you used to be able to buy recievers, and if you paid cash, theyre were no records taken down, so no one could prove you bought it. That was when youd take your card to a 'professional' and he'd do something to it, imprint a specific code on it or something, and it would unlock whatever channels you wanted. Kinda like a black box for satellite.

[/ QUOTE ]

The DTV systems are quite popular in Canada, although they aren't legally sold here [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]....there are lots of 'em running up here, and ...um...er...they ain't hooked up to the phone lines either.
I see them in the Bargain Hunter classified fairly often, a complete system can go for as high as $400 CDN here....but getting somebody to "fix" the HU cards is the hard part.
The strange thing is, the HU card readers/writers are legally sold here...about $80 new.
We also have Starchoice and Bell-Expressvu up here.
I get an excellent signal, usually 90%+, and it even works when full of snow....its the heavy rain/thunder storms that it dislikes.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-16-2003, 04:00 PM

Yeah, im told you can get by the the phone authorization if you can get a card written for it. Maybe ill have to place an order from Canadia [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode