Trivia question - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
The NOT-Off-Road Lounge Talk any topic NOT related to Off-Road vehicles. ESTABLISHED COMMUNITY MEMBERS ONLY - NO SPAMMERS.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2003, 02:42 PM Thread Starter

Trivia question

Wondering if anyone here knows the origin of the terms "mouse" and "rat" when referring to SBC or BBC motors.

I know that SBC is a mouse and BBC is a rat, but the question is why? [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

So far, no one has been able to answer this question, but I know that the peeps on this board are WAAAY more knowledgable than on any other BBS [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2003, 01:23 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Trivia question

Quite simply put "The nickname for the small block Chevrolet engine, named such because the big block was called a "Rat" and so the small engine must be a "mouse". "

mouse________________________rat
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1230285-mouse and rat.jpg (68.5 KB, 8 views)
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2003, 01:29 PM Thread Starter

That's the answer I've been getting, but it doesn't really answer the question, does it? [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] So, in order to satisfy my own curiosity, I did a bunch of research yesterday and got some really interesting information. If you are interested, I can post it here...

Thanks for the reply tho. This board has really slowed down, eh? One full day, one response and barely 20 views... [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2003, 08:07 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

Mopar's Hemi was called the "elephant" motor because it made gobs of power back in the early sixties (easily 300 horses with the small motor because of superior head design). The 426 Hemi could easily hit 400 horses. GM's solution was the "mouse" motor, also known as the small block chevy. The "rat" for big block chevys was determined because it's still a rodent but is larger.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2003, 08:16 PM Thread Starter

post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-16-2003, 01:21 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Actually the reverse is the situation here the small block was around a lot longer since 1955 and was called the mouse because of it's small size especially when you look at and compare it to the other V-8 engines of that era. The big block was named the rat because the small block was the mouse.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode