I Got My CDL - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
The NOT-Off-Road Lounge Talk any topic NOT related to Off-Road vehicles. ESTABLISHED COMMUNITY MEMBERS ONLY - NO SPAMMERS.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-05-2003, 07:10 PM Thread Starter

I Got My CDL

I got it yesterday, Class B with Tanker, Air Brakes and Hazmat...now I just need a nice flatbed and a trail rig and I can start goin to Moab [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Also my buddy just got a new truck 2002, 2500 Ram, old body style its sweet, his warrenty wont let him run larger then 285s though [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] I should have pics soon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-06-2003, 12:05 AM

Re: I Got My CDL

Congrats on the cdl ! I feel like I earned mine after towing to Moab from Va and back last month . We had a 40 ft flatbed 5th wheel and a dually 4 door super duty . The eisenhower tunnel and pass were a handful with that . I can only imagine what it would be like with a true 18 wheeler .
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-06-2003, 12:47 AM
Keyboard Implanted

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
<font color="red"> I can only imagine what it would be like with a true 18 wheeler .</font color>

[/ QUOTE ] And that's all DREY can do. He has a class "B" which as stated on the Iowa CDL web site:
<font color="blue"> What do the terms Class A, Class B, and Class C mean on my Iowa CDL?
It refers to the type of vehicle that you may operate . . .
CLASS A . . . allows you to operate vehicles which tow trailers or other vehicles with a GVWR over 10,000 pounds. A Class "A" license also allows you to operate Class B and C vehicles.
<font color="green">CLASS B . . . allows you to operate single vehicles with a GVWR of 26,001 lbs or more OR a gross combination weight rating (GCWR) of 26,001 lbs. or more, towing trailers/vehicles rated at 10,000 pounds GVWR or less. A Class "B" license also allows you to operate Class C vehicles.</font color>
CLASS C . . .allows you to operate vehicles under 26,001 lbs. GVWR; that are designed to transport 16 or more persons including the driver; or that carry 15 or less people (including the driver) transporting children to or from school and home regularly for compensation, or carry hazardous materials in amounts requiring placarding.</font color>
Not knocking ya DREY, congrats. I personaly wish every person in this country had to take the CDL test. There would be a drastic and significant reduction in motor vehicle accidents. I have had my class "A" CDL for 10 years [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-06-2003, 10:54 AM

I have a question about CDL's. I had got CDL permit a couple years ago but never went and got my license because of something I was told. I'm still not sure if it is true or not.

From the way I understood the Illinois CDL laws I was able to operate a vehicle that needs a CDL with up to a 0.04 BAC, but if you were stopped they would make you wait until you dropped to 0.00 before you could drive again. Anything over a 0.04 was grounds for a DUI. But you could operate a regular vehicle (car or truck) and still have up to the legal limit of 0.08 BAC.

Someone told me that once you got your CDL it dropped your acceptable BAC to 0.04 in any vehicle.

Which is true?

This is what kept me from getting my CDL. I don't really ever need to drive a vehicle that requires a CDL, I just thought that it would be a nice thing to have if I ever needed it. But it definitely wasn't worth lowering my BAC for when I'm driving my car home from a bar.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-06-2003, 08:47 PM Thread Starter

Yeah Krabysniper, i dont take that as a knock, hardly anyone I know even has a Class B, so I very proud of it I will get a Class A within 6 months to a year but it all depends on if the Co-op where I am working needs me to operate a semi
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-07-2003, 10:40 AM

What I was told in a Defensive Driving class here in the Chicago area is that once you hold a CDL, your allowable BAC is .04 regardless of what vehicle you are operating at the time.

By the way, congratulations Drey! [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-07-2003, 11:08 AM

That's what my dad told me too, and that makes absolutely no sense to me.

Let's see I'm a more skilled driver who is capable of safely handling any vehicle on the road, guess that means I can't drive a car after 2 beers!

WTF!

edit:

Oh yeah congratulations.

I'm not really trying to steal this thread, I just wanted to try to figure this stuff out.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-07-2003, 08:54 PM Thread Starter

yeah that .04 [bleep] sucks...as most of ya know if youve seen a pic of me, im not built very large...6-1 and 135 lbs, anyway thats prolly like 1 beer for me
post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-08-2003, 08:28 AM

If that... .04 is 2 beers for me, I'm 5' 9" and right around 200lbs. I think the rule is lame but good luck trying to get it changed... I agree with lower BAC standards while driving the vehicle that requires the CDL but not while driving an everyday car.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 11-08-2003, 08:56 PM

After my buddy got a DUI he bought a breathalizer. It actually is a pretty fun party trick. One it's good for checking drivers before they leave. Two, if they aren't going to be driving anywhere we have a contest to see how high we can get. Yup, I know it sounds stupid, but it puts a new spin on old drinking games. One of our friends beat the previous record with a 0.38 last weekend.
[img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode